show us all your fermentation closets/chambers here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked this up a couple weeks ago.

2010-12-05_20_09_56.jpg

Apparently all you lucky F'ers have basements and tons of space! Well what is one to do if they live in a tiny ass European flat (apartment) and need to keep your SWMBO happy? You build you're own custom fermentation cabinet, is what you do!

Designed and built from scratch to be my 'brewing' cabinet. It is designed to house 4 3gallon BetterBottle carboys, all my brewing equipment and room to bottle condition 3 batches of brew. As you can see I bottle only into 750ml Champagne/Sparkling wine bottles.

Luckily my flat stays at constant 19-20deg C (66-68deg F) so I have no need for temperature control.

ferm_cab1.jpg

ferm_cab2.jpg

Those photos were taken just after I built the cabinet and did my first batch in this location. So as you can see the bottles aren't even fully prepped. Here is a photo of that first batch bottled and ready for some aging. Labels will get applied this weekend when I finally get home from a 1month business trip.

ferm_cab3.jpg

That, sir, is wank worthy :rockin:
Thanks! It ended up costing me a bit more than I planned to spend, but it should last a long time.

Apparently all you lucky F'ers have basements and tons of space!
No basement here I have this little space to brew in. :cross:
shop2.jpg

Actually I'm still in the process of getting ready to do the first brew in the new place since moving, but having the new space dedicated to brewing is going to be wonderful.

Thanks! It ended up costing me a bit more than I planned to spend, but it should last a long time.

No basement here I have this little space to brew in. :cross:
shop2.jpg

Actually I'm still in the process of getting ready to do the first brew in the new place since moving, but having the new space dedicated to brewing is going to be wonderful.

Awww, that is effing amazing

--4 inch thick walls. 5 inch floor and top.
--Solid foam insulation is sealed into all wall cavities.
--All joints sealed with polyurethane glue.
--Jacketed inside and out in radiant insulation barrier.
--Total R-value: 30.

The dorm fridge on top has two 4 inch fans ducted through the bottom of the fridge into the chamber below (one blowing in, one out). The temp controller is an electronic Ranco. The thermowell for the controller probe extends into the wort. There is also a digital thermometer probe measuring interior ambient temp.

cooler935lo.jpg

I'm just getting started out so I have a typical noob setup. Freezer and a single stage digital controller. I plan on making a collar pretty soon here to get a little more space. Question came up as I'm typing here. Will that freezer function on its side, so, it is taller? If not, then can I unbolt the condenser unit rotate it 1/4 turn so it will be correctly oriented when it is turned on its side? If so i could build a box out of the front of it to get the room I would like to have to fermeneters and keep my conditioning bottles in there.

ForumRunner_20110623_020221.jpg

ForumRunner_20110623_020920.jpg

ForumRunner_20110623_021142.jpg

I like my keezer so much that I built this setup for fermenting. I did the same double hinge setup as my keezer, so the lid or entire collar can be lifted separately. With the collar I can get a carboy on the hump. I have a Love controller that runs the freezer compressor and a reptile heater mat that is stuck down to the side of the hump.

2011-06-23%25252008.16.02.jpg

2011-06-23%25252008.17.10.jpg

2011-06-23%25252008.16.32.jpg

All together mine cost $63... found the freezer and fixed it up. Gotta love the college budget.

After preliminary painting and laying of silicone seal and weather stripping
0611111521.jpg

Fuzzy pic with CHI Company temp controller
0615112320.jpg

It only has room for one bucket but corny keg secondaries and the rare bottled batch can go in there as well. Also, sitting on the hump makes it really easy for me to take gravity reading samples from the spigot :D
0616111859.jpg

Here's Fermenstein. need to go take more pictures. it fits 2 15 gallon conicals with a gutted minifridge to cool, heat mat to heat, love tss2-2100 for control, Fans and interior lights (switches on front to control).

PM me if you want more details/pictures.

MOOMOO

IMAG0177.jpg

IMAG0171.jpg

IMAG01731.jpg

So here's my Fermenator...

IMG_7451.jpg

IMG_7450.jpg

IMG_7448.jpg

Bottom two pipes coming from fridge have 12vdc pc fans pushing cool air down. I may end up adding another fan to the top pipe to aid in pushing warm air back into fridge. Still testing for lowest possible temps...

Shaggyt said:
So here's my Fermenator...

Bottom two pipes coming from fridge have 12vdc pc fans pushing cool air down. I may end up adding another fan to the top pipe to aid in pushing warm air back into fridge. Still testing for lowest possible temps...

You should add a flux capaciter to that thing!

Got it functional...I ran out of time before people starting showing up for a pool party. I will sheet it and make a door next weekend.

Ferm 1.jpg

Ferm 2.jpg

Ferm 3.jpg

Ferm 4.jpg

I've been fermenting in here for a few batches now, but just added the Love controller and heating element (brew belt) for total control. Works great!

IMG_0587.jpg

Build details thread

great minds!

i'm "cold crashing" a ryePA right now (bucket is sitting at about 50ish), gonna fully ferment from scratch in it tonight
5897696284_9ef947680f_z.jpg

EDIT: i just realized i posted in your thread a few days ago :) thanks for the response! didn't realize it was you.

Mine just arrived this weekend!!! I'm cleaning it up and getting it ready.

I got it from a restaurant that was hit by the Good Friday tornado. Cheap.

IMAG0293.jpg

vinper said:
there is fermenters in there now,has been holding temps for almost a year

What did you use for cooling ...is that an AC unit cut into the back?

Looks awesome btw I love the converted cabinet loo. I want to go this route but don't want to spend too much on the cabinet though.

I'm a brand new member and this is my first post.

I've used this thread a lot while designing my fermentation chamber.

I opted for a sturdy constructed box on wheels attached to a mini fridge. The cold air from the fridge is blown into the chamber via computer fans through a gravity chamber to prevent excess cold flow.

Here are the pics so far. I'm about 16 hours into this including two extra visits to Lowe's for lumber.

2014-01-28 15.10.55.jpg

2014-02-16 17.45.51.jpg

2014-02-16 17.46.35.jpg

2014-02-15 11.18.58.jpg

Somehow managed to miss this thread entirely.

fwiw, I built this a few years before I got into kegging. These pics were from the build in-progress and don't show things like the door insulation and magnetic latches, the heater/fan/controller and other random bits.

The full-extension drawers hold a case and a half of 12 oz bottles each and can fit bombers without bumping the necks. I could tuck two more cases of 12 oz empties on the floor under the drawers. The left side fit a pair of 6.5 gallon carboys (the racks are adjustable) with enough room for the locks to clear the trim up top.

The doors were insulated using the same foam board as on the walls, ceiling and under the floor, and they lay dead flat against the cabinet so there's virtually no leaking even without gaskets. It's warmed with a 100W ceramic resistor array controlled by a single stage Ranco with a small fan for circulation. I still use the left side for cool weather brewing needs when my primary fermentation fridge is full - right now I have an IPA and a Pale dry hopping in there 'til Saturday while two more batches are doing their primary thing in the ferm fridge.

As I haven't bottled in years the drawers are filled with all kinds of brewing stuff - stir plates, flasks, various thermometers, brushes, hoses, straps, spray bottles - and a plethora of smaller bits in boxes. The top is host to brew kettles, cooler MLT and some random other brewing stuff.

Still haven't gotten around to painting it, maybe this summer, probably "Appliance White" to match the two fridges and the keezer in the brewery...

Cheers!

[ps: I'd take a picture of this thing in its present state, but as we don't heat the lower level when it gets this cold (not with heating oil running over $4/gallon!) the temperature down there is hovering around 52°F and I'm not leaving my toasty office for that right now ;) ]

brewery_32.jpg

brewery_24.jpg

I picked up a Delfield Frost Top from a restaurant that was going out of business for $6.47 from an online auction...and built the cabinet around it.

I have an ambient air temp sensor and a sensor taped to the fermenter...and control the unit with a BCS.

delfield-n8245-drop-in-frost-top-display-45.jpg

FermChamber1.JPG

FermChamber3.jpg

great minds!

i'm "cold crashing" a ryePA right now (bucket is sitting at about 50ish), gonna fully ferment from scratch in it tonight
5897696284_9ef947680f_z.jpg

EDIT: i just realized i posted in your thread a few days ago :) thanks for the response! didn't realize it was you.

that is now the kegerator and my fermentation chamber is this

0603141528_zpsheuhfatt.jpg

Here's mine. Just finished the build this weekend. It's chilly in my basement in Michigan still (58 this morning) so I'm heating rather than cooling for the wine and Imperial IPA (not pictured) that are in it now.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1426615692.758344.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1426615717.665306.jpg

Also for lagers / cold crashing I have this old International Harvester (who knew they made fridges in the 1950s):

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1426615787.317002.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1426615811.129496.jpg

I needed the chamber because my larger fermentors don't fit and having space for just 2 carboys was pretty limiting! 😀

Finally got the last few pieces of the puzzle and everything assembled. Running like a champ now, can't wait to actually start batches in here. Currently finishing a lager that began life in my keezer (Couldn't wait), and ensuring attenuation from (low) room temp batches on the right. Switches are all heat/cool overrides. Just in case.

chamber01-65196.jpg

20150324_221007-65363.jpg

Now if you'll excuse me I need to pimp these images in about 8 other threads.
:mug:

Currently pumping glycol from a two gallon stainless tub in the freezer of my kegerator - works fine for keeping 68 degrees for my ales but can't get down to the temps I want for crashing (35-40 degrees). Problem isn't the radiator, the temp rises too fast in the glycol and the passive cooling of the tank in the freezer can't compete with the radiator. I am building a chiller with a 5,000 BTU window AC unit which should do just fine based on what I've read on other threads. Otherwise, temp control (both heating and cooling) has been excellent with the PID control. +/- 1/2 degree F.

has been working of few years , ferment beer, wine , have been slacking lately to many hobbies

doors 001.jpg

Back