Show Me Your Wood Brew Sculpture/Rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had no issues with heat, I put the corrugated metal there to protect the wood and I haven't even noticed it getting hot. It is winter here so that helps and I only use the burner for boiling the wort so that limits the heat buildup.

i was enjoying my very simplistic brew setup (post #970) during warm summer months. now winter here is dark and wet and weird spots started to grow on my wooden brew stand. i think its some kind of mold. i left mine untreated because during summer it would get dry and be fine. whats the best way to treat wood for brewing applications? paint, oil, varnish ?

i was enjoying my very simplistic brew setup (post #970) during warm summer months. now winter here is dark and wet and weird spots started to grow on my wooden brew stand. i think its some kind of mold. i left mine untreated because during summer it would get dry and be fine. whats the best way to treat wood for brewing applications? paint, oil, varnish ?

Simple looking rig! Exactly what I'm looking to make for myself, something easy. How tall is each level?

How tall is each level?

first step is about 50cm(20inch) off the ground - the size of my tallest fermenting vessel, so i can open the valve and drain directly into fermenter after chilling.
second step is about 110cm(43inch) off the ground - obviously adjust accordingly to the size of your boiler.
im fairly tall so i can stir the mash from the ground although when doughing in i would climb up on to the first step - easier that way.
finally, you can add a few hooks in various places to hold brew gear! --oh and castor wheels as well--

IMG_2323.jpg

first step is about 50cm(20inch) off the ground - the size of my tallest fermenting vessel, so i can open the valve and drain directly into fermenter after chilling.
second step is about 110cm(43inch) off the ground - obviously adjust accordingly to the size of your boiler.
im fairly tall so i can stir the mash from the ground although when doughing in i would climb up on to the first step - easier that way.
finally, you can add a few hooks in various places to hold brew gear! --oh and castor wheels as well--

Awesome!! Thank you!

Here's the latest revision to my brewing area. I used to have a multi-tiered stand, but I bought a pump so I don't have to rely on gravity anymore. I'm planning to christen it with a brewing session on Saturday.

IMG_5047.jpg

No RIMS or HERMS yet, but just got the all wooden rig built. Grain mill mounted above a spot for a bucket that sits on a digital scale. Plenty of storage space/spot for bottling bucket, although we have now moved to kegging.

Pumps are next, then possibly integrate an old cooling coil and an electric heating element into my liquor tank to make it a HERMS.

20170326_160150.jpg

Here is a picture of my old reliable. Had it since 2010. I have 5" casters on it to make it roll real easy over to the barn or anywhere. The orange is welders cloth so it doesn't catch fire. The top tier has a square that is wrapped 4 times in the cloth. Never smoked the wood yet. This is made from cabinet grade maple. It has a charcoal filter on the other side that I hook into the green (water safe) hose to take out the chlorine. The blue hose on the right is coming off the water filter. This will store two propane tanks, 15G kettle, pump, green hose and switch in the rear. The front stores the blichmann burner and plate chiller outlet hose. Takes up a 4' x 2' area in garage.

IMG_0352.jpg

Here is mine. SSBrewtech 15 Gal Boil Kettle, 20 Gal Mash Tun (with temp control), 15 Gal HLT/HERMS/PreChiller; ExChillerator CounterFlowChiller (just got, used to use a Plate Chiller - can't wait to try this); 2 pumps (remote controlled), 2 Edelmetall burners. The stand was a recycle of one of my workbenches with waterproofing deck paint. I put a left over tile under the burners to help keep heat off the wood and some sheet metal covered in automotive fireproof insulation on the sides next to the mash tun. Works amazing for 5-10 gallon batches and have no issues with the burners heating up the wood.
QZdUi6jI6GXSdiE-0oWpL85IJ85RRc5G7CL3AT3IQsaOYVFztUgU3Sv97vCBZvFlbh3jQ-rAT37Jt1jdZ7eqKQKC_qp3nkGgUMjvbj4ZO3IP4Mb8awdNytcp7qH6Tfm8uXdm-ImU7rlLPmD0aFgybljbp0Go3gH2xVuGuRARPAxpAwchwUTLf1l3Bmzx3LJjYcBgTjylpiL-wLtamYMAMba4w1InRc8kgzTTcYqdyAUv_kTfPMachZESVw9qWFa_CpbLy1dZrq3SyT8pOGtPCSR70RMDr-QYdPd3TBhsC87_LJJPEZXc7rNP0anNGpEyYyOK19nIk_px9oZ1T-4gqaumGjLgbar8PolV8Hi5FYE3HM0kzAPmkMIM0Q_LE1JgxvAtSQ7Y7heO7VbBs1fHnSBNM82aj5W_l2v6wif5TS_RNTXQW3h_0b2sAiNK6ONrPCKdYo4goHaeJq4SHdWQBBWyqeDt1N4Xa7xmyQlM6QOmTZ7pu1laeNYnQfiBwE1XOwgWmtLQ8Jr9P3CPBBBrP1VOn0e7Z5oL0sIonVeVNpDUCtzSpE8HIhpkXLKJVrR7E0gCWcinQJ5_krIoqlmCXoogEX0smTOpnwYvGZQ=w1104-h828-no

Sorry I'm a bit late to this thread. I built a brewstand two weeks ago out of 2x4s and some laminate countertop.

I made the plans with Google's sketchup:

BrewStand07.png

and here it is, in action:

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

Since then I've already built a shelf in the high part to hold the propane tank, and I intend to fully enclose it with some nice cabinetry. Cheers~
Hey Mike C, I'm getting really close to building my own rig and yours looks very close to my own idea ,and as gravity fed as possible. Tell me please, how has it held up as far as - 1) would you build it the same way again?
2) how many brew batches have you done on it and has anything had to be changed or modified since this build.?
3) I do have a small pump I bought for sparging ,and Im thinking of using it for sparging but do you actually need it with your setup or do you just gravity feed your strike water to your mash tun and so on to your boil kettle? and then basically repeat to batch sparge?
4) I also have a small dorm sized electric stove that works I just dont need the oven portion, I'm thinking of removing the stovetop and separating the burners to run the strike/sparge burner and the large one to run the boil kettle. ideas please.
I just need to figure out the bottom tier height to gravity fill my carboy ,and then work my way up in height until I reach the height where my top burner needs to be so everything flows downhill nicely.
Looks like a very nice neat ,simple set up . I like that . Just need some feedback ,thanks very much.

Finally started to build mine. Ran out of screws. Need to pick that up and some plywood for the top.
IMG_3113.jpg
IMG_3114.jpg
IMG_3115.jpg

I also just wired in my longer power cord to my controller. I’m planning on mounting my controller in between the vessels and using s bracket to have it at a 45 degree angle. Hopefully I’ll be able to have it finished this weekend!

Here's mine, 4 pretty successful brews so far and can't think of anything to change yet. Although, I did add a shelf after this picture was taken and I'm working on plans to add a collapsible milling station to one end eventually.

B-Rig.jpg

559EF217-3797-4C1F-828F-AC47751C4C86.jpeg
Finally completed mine. Here’s a couple photos of hoses connected and then put away. I wanted to have hidden wiring for the Controller, pump and element so it has a clean install.

Last edited:
I know i’m going to get some flack for this question, but for the price of all that equipment, not to mention the space it takes up, why not just go for a more efficient and compact all in one brew system? Having used both for some time now I find a boiler with temp controller and circulation pump to be way better than a mash tun cooler, and using a grain basket is so much easier than transferring the wort from one large pot to another. It also makes for easier cleaning.

So what’s the benefit? is it about the aesthetic, and just a personal preference for how you like to brew? Or do you see a substantial difference in the quality of your brews ?

For some, the tinkering is half the fun.
Also, for a lot of people not in the US (myself included), the price for an all-in-one system far exceeds the price of the components of their sculptures (I spent about 600€ on my stuff, vs. at least 2.5k for a system of comparable capacity).
And then of course some people might feel all-in-one systems put them too much out of touch with the actual process of brewing.
There probably are more reasons, but since it’s off topic, I’ll stop right here.

I know i’m going to get some flack for this question, but for the price of all that equipment, not to mention the space it takes up, why not just go for a more efficient and compact all in one brew system? Having used both for some time now I find a boiler with temp controller and circulation pump to be way better than a mash tun cooler, and using a grain basket is so much easier than transferring the wort from one large pot to another. It also makes for easier cleaning.

So what’s the benefit? is it about the aesthetic, and just a personal preference for how you like to brew? Or do you see a substantial difference in the quality of your brews ?
My main issue is that.....I really don't want to lift the basket.....hahah

My main issue is that.....I really don't want to lift the basket.....hahah

Lol. Fair enough.

And for the whole style of brewing, I get the craft of it as well. It's fun, and gives more control (or at least the feeling of more control, I'm not really sure). They do look satisfying. Maybe if I had a garage I'd be there with you. But it looks like so much more work, especially the clean up.

Lol. Fair enough.

And for the whole style of brewing, I get the craft of it as well. It's fun, and gives more control (or at least the feeling of more control, I'm not really sure). They do look satisfying. Maybe if I had a garage I'd be there with you. But it looks like so much more work, especially the clean up.

With the Clawhammer Supply and like systems, I came close to just going with that. The only issue was the 110v and how long it takes and again, the basket. Every time I watch videos of it, I’d be afraid of knocking over everything. Then I saw the brew easy, and a guy on YouTube with a recirculating kettle rims, I thought it was the perfect solution to recirculate, cost less age used less gear, less water, etc

Can't remember if I posted it here already. It's a temporary stand with some leftover wood I had. Eventually when I move I'll do something better
20180904_201622.jpeg

Back