Should you brew before a big move to a new home

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikescooling

Reaction score
YES!!! I thought what's easier to move buckets and sacks of grain (over 500 lbs) or Beer that is much heavier. The grain was lighter but when I started shutting the brewery down, the home brew ended for 8 months. So if you have a big move coming up, brew your ass-off, because you don't know how long it will take to get the brewery up and going again. Learn from my screw up, I'm just now sipping my first batch at the new place. I missed you so much HB, what was I thinking?

Yes... I have not moved since I started brewing but I can remember how long it takes to get settled into a new place. I have actually lived in our current house longer than I have any other place in my entire life and I'm in mid 40s. I often never settled into a place. ... leaving boxes packed not hanging pictures etc. I have finally started to settle in this house after 8 years, 9 in jan. The time it takes to get settled into a place is often overlooked. .. swmbo will have a list of items that she wants completed. Then there is the painting, hanging of curtains and pictures and shelves. The cleaning, the repairs of wall, doors, locks, windows, sidewalks, lawn, landscaping, plumbing, heating, gutters, etc, etc. The point is that by the time you get through the list the first time it is time to start over again and that doesn't leave a lot of time for brewing or setting up your brewery. Helps if you have family (kids) that are willing to help out.

I was actually thinking you should brew before a big move to attract / entice friends to help you move.

And because you will have to rationalize to SWMBO why you are taking a couple dozen cases of empty bottles with you. You dont want to throw those out, transport them full. Plus it gives you an excuse to set your brewery equipment up quickly. You dont want your beer to go bad, become light struck, or be in the way.

Yeah, my SWMBO probably wouldn't agree on moving several hundred empty bottles. But full ones? You can't argue with that.

Latest posts

Back