Should I use a Hydrometer Now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ercscotty

Reaction score
So maybe you have seen this post recently
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/mr-beer-nut-brown-ale-208713/
....as of yesterday I had a ton of frothy looking activity in my Mr. Beer fermenter. Today, different story....I just see little bits of bubbles etc. This coming Sunday it will be officially one week of fermentation(in a temp range of 60-65 degrees). If I were to tap the keg and poor a glass, could I get a first quality reading tomorrow with the hydrometer and then this Sunday take another reading....Help please...

Thank you...

there's really no point in taking a hydrometer reading until after fermentation has pretty much finished (you will see very little air-lock activity [bubbles] and pretty much no foam). I'm assuming that you've taken an Original Gravity reading before you pitched the yeast into the wort. You can take another reading whenever you want (with extreme sanitary-care), in order to determine if the yeast has consumed enough sugar to give you the alcohol content and beer body that you want. It's all up to you man.
...if your O.G. was 1.048 (for example) and you take a hydrometer reading now that tells you it is 1.010, then you subtract the new gravity (specific gravity) from the O.G. to give you the approximate alcohol content.
-->1.048-1.010=1.038 (look at 1.038 on your hydrometer, then look at the alcohol % marked beside it) Ta da. If that alcohol % is the one you're looking for, or within a few points of it, then you're good to go, syphon it into the secondary (or wahtever it is that you're using.. mr beer secondary..?).

Let me know if this is oversimplified and thus not useful, or if you need further clarification.

I'm no expert, but I think technically you're supposed to take multiple hydrometer readings as you think the beer is progressing. Bubbles in the airlock, or otherwise signs of fermentation "stopping" doesn't mean the little yeasties are done in there. The hydrometer is the only fool proof way to tell when fermentation is complete.

I would suggest taking a sample now, and then taking another sample in a day or two, and if the reading is the same, you know you're done. If not, just keep taking little samples every day or two.

With your temp range I guess you're doing an ale, which usually takes around a week. You're on the low end of the ideal temp range for ales, so I would guess that it'd probably take about the full week, so no worries. Just bust the hydrometer out, and dont drop it and break it like I did with mine :(

It has been my experience with mr.beer to let it ferment for 2 weeks, and bottle condition for at least another 2 weeks, then chill for a week.

You don't wanna test too much with mr.beer cause your only gonna get 18 to 20 beers from it anyway.

i don't even bother checking gravity for at least 2 weeks after og, maybe more depending on style. i'm not going to rack it that early, so why expose it to a risk of contamination? besides, i consider it a waste of time.

2 week fermentation can be common for some beers, but not all. Fermentation varies with beer to beer, so just saying how many days without listing the style is almost useless.

If you see signs of fermentation stopping, such as bubbles and foam, then you're probably close, so now is a good time to take a reading if it's been 7 days and it's a standard single fermentation ale at 65F. Record the reading, and if it's lower in a day, then you know you're not done. If it's the same then you know you are done.

Either way, RDWHAHB, you can leave beers in the fermenter for about a month with no real problems I've heard. I left an American Ale fermenting back in May with temps near around 70F for probably 3-4 weeks because I was away and bottled it with no problems. Waiting a few days after fermentation stops will NOT cause any harm to your beer......

....unless by harm we mean delaying the bottling and thus delaying the tasting of our homebrews :cheers:

I'm no expert, but I think technically you're supposed to take multiple hydrometer readings as you think the beer is progressing. Bubbles in the airlock, or otherwise signs of fermentation "stopping" doesn't mean the little yeasties are done in there. The hydrometer is the only fool proof way to tell when fermentation is complete.

agreed, but I don't think taking multiple readings is necessary. Plus it's a little dangerous contamination-wise. anyways, wait for fermentation to subside, check gravity, wait a day, check again. good? rack.

Everyone, thank you for your input! Obviously I'm a newbie, but how much can I tap from it now so that the hydrometer will get a good reading.....

I do not have one...just yet...
I have a brew store down the street and plan on getting one tomorrow.
Do I need a full pint? 4 oz, 8 oz, 2 oz???

Thanks for your help.

I use a wine thief. However my hydrometer never floats freely when I drop it in there...it always rests against the side..what gives?

i don't even bother checking gravity for at least 2 weeks after og, maybe more depending on style. i'm not going to rack it that early, so why expose it to a risk of contamination? besides, i consider it a waste of time.

+1. I actually just let it sit for at least a month. No point in taking gravity until then

Back