should I modify this brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdongsr94

Reaction score
So I went to LHBS and came home with ingredients for a partial mash. It was late in the day so I decided I would go DME and have actually never done DME. So excuses aside I made a bit of a strange beer.

11 lbs DME
1 lbs Crystal 20
1 lbs vienna
.5 Carapils

.5 oz Centennial .5 Simcoe @ 60
.5 oz Centennial @ 20
.5 oz Centennial @ 10
.5 oz Centennial @ 5
.5 oz Centennial @ 1
I have .5 oz Centennial and .5 Simcoe for a dry hop. I am a hop head but wanted something on the light IPA side. But what I am ending up with is around 9% ABV low 40 ish IBU dark colored ale. My OG yesterday was 1.082! I am playing with the idea of diluting some of this to a more drinkable beer. I like big beers but this doesnt really have the malt or the IBUs to back it up. I can dry hop more but it not going to have a bitter pallet to go with the HOP aroma. I know the answer is just wait and see how it ends up. I brewed this for an all day get together but at 9% we wont be drinking many. Any thoughts or experiences with diluting after fermentation and big dry hopping on a lower IBU beer would help. Or does this meet a style that would be good? I will have a full 5 gal so thats plenty to split up and try something with.

It should end up a nice hoppy light amber colored brew if you are using extra light or light dme.

I think this will be a tasty brew once it ages a bit. Don't dilute. Just let it roll.

Back