Should I dry hop a blonde ale with 1 oz Williamette?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDesquire

Reaction score
New to brewing. I have a 5 gal batch of blonde ale that has been in primary almost 2 weeks. Active fermentation seems to be done, but I'm likely going to leave in for another week just because don't have time to bottle yet ... In the meantime I'm toying with the idea of dry hopping with 1 oz of Williamette I have leftover from the brew (entire batch has 2 oz Williamette in already. .75 oz at 60 min for bittering, .75 oz at 20 min left on boil and .5 oz at flame out). This is an extract batch and fairly typical of the style. I'm not brewing for a competition but I do want to produce a good tasting brew. My two questions: (1) should I dry hop with the 1 oz of williamette or is that going to screw up what I'm going for, and (2) if so, how long should I dry hop for (1 day, 1 week?)? ... I've heard too long can lead to a Grassy flavor that I'm NOT going for. help! Thanks!

I would not dry hop. There's no reason to with that style of beer. i would prefer my blonde ale with without any dry hopping if i had the choice.

If you want to dry hop then do it, 1 oz isn't going to be enough in 5 gallons to overpower anything. I usually dry hop for 3-5 days and then bottle.

Dry hop that sucker! 1 oz will be fine, maybe let it hang out for another 4 or 5 days after you dry hop.

It seems like when people want a blonde, they are expecting something with low bitterness and low hops. So it might throw people off. But if it's for yourself, then it won't hurt to dry hop and give it more aroma.

I did a dry-hopped cream ale last year, and it was pretty good. I used Willamette at 60, 20, and 0; El Dorado for 5 days dry hopping. It was definitely there, but not overpowering.

I'm not brewing for a competition but I do want to produce a good tasting brew.
Since it's not for competition and if you like a little more hop aroma in your beers, you should do it. If you're not that brave, top off a one gallon carboy on top of a quarter ounce then bottle/keg the rest. If you like it (or not) you'll know what to do next time.

If you prefer hoppier beers then do it. Obviously you're not 100%satisfied with it as is, or you wouldn't be asking. 3-5 days should be plenty.

-ben

P.S. don't worry about style right away, master technique first.

Back