Should I complain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pitch it into a 1L, ferment and decant the pour 4L on top. I had to do that with my first lager (even older Munich belles yeast). Started it in the upper 40s and had good activity in 36 hours. Anything more than a 2 gallons should be made as a half batch where you just rack the next planned batch onto the yeast cake.

Well, I'm going to take the high road, ignore the various snide comments, and talk beer.

I made a starter on Thursday morning, and it hadn't moved from 1.040. At the end of the day yesterday, it looked like I was fermenting out a bit, but I didn't take a reading.

Well, I'm going to take the high road, ignore the various snide comments, and talk beer.

I made a starter on Thursday morning, and it hadn't moved from 1.040. At the end of the day yesterday, it looked like I was fermenting out a bit, but I didn't take a reading.

The yeast is likely fine. I don't blame you for wanting the freshest yeast. You should use a starter anyway as most others said.

It's your money and you pay the same regardless of yeast age. I don't know anyone that wouldn't prefer that their yeast be as close to manufacture date as possible.

Back