Should I be concerned (foam coming through airlock)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my third batch, the Cincinnati Pale Ale recipe from John Palmer's book.

Following a vigorous primary fermentation which lasted 4-5 days, the airlock went silent for 1-2 days.

After this period of dormancy, this morning I noticed a column of very large and loosely connected foam bubbles climbing up through the stem of the airlock and exiting out the top.

And now -- drumroll please -- it is time for my question.

Is this normal? Should I be concerned?

I should mention that the beer is fermenting in a food grade plastic bucket, so I can't actually see what's happening. I don't plan to rack to secondary.

Totally normal.

If the really vigorous fermentation is over, you're probably out of the woods but, still, couldn't hurt to rig up a blowoff. If that airlock gets clogged with kraeusen, it can cause pressure to build up until the lid blows off, making a huge mess. A blowoff helps to prevent that.

From what you related,it sounds like it already worked a plug loose & started blowing off the excess pressure with some little krausen. If it keeps coming,def rig a blow off.

Happened to me w/ a Coopers Real Ale extract. Didn't use Coopers fermentables, used 1kg DME instead. All that foam did look narley! I just put the bucket in the bath tub. It stopped in about a day, wiped down the bucket, put it back on the table I brew on as it gently bubbled for a couple-a-more days. It turned out yummy. jm

That's why I started rigging a blow off after pitch for 4 to 5 days. The cooper's ale yeast loves doing that if it's re-hydrated or boosted in a starter.

Back