Should I add sulfites when I add pectic enzyme, or after?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tstorm

Reaction score
This is my first time using pectic enzyme before pressing - I'm hoping it'll increase my yield. The process I expected to follow was to mill, add pectic enzyme, let sit at 65F for 24 hours, then press and add sulfites.

Should I be concerned about wild fermentation during the 24 hour pectic enzyme treatment? I'm afraid that without sulfites I'll get some unwanted activity. But I also don't want to sulfite twice (before pectin treatment and after pressing).

What's your process?

Thanks!

This is my first time using pectic enzyme before pressing - I'm hoping it'll increase my yield. The process I expected to follow was to mill, add pectic enzyme, let sit at 65F for 24 hours, then press and add sulfites.

Should I be concerned about wild fermentation during the 24 hour pectic enzyme treatment? I'm afraid that without sulfites I'll get some unwanted activity. But I also don't want to sulfite twice (before pectin treatment and after pressing).

What's your process?

Thanks!

Generally, I use the sulfites first, to kill wild yeast and bacteria, then 12 hours later add the pectic enzyme, and then 12 hours after that I add the chosen yeast strain.

Thanks... but...

It sounds to me like you're talking about adding pectinase after pressing for clarifying - and I totally agree with your process if that's the case (that's what I usually do).

In this thread I'm talking about adding pectinase to the milled pulp, before pressing, to break down pectin and improve yield.

Thanks... but...

It sounds to me like you're talking about adding pectinase after pressing for clarifying - and I totally agree with your process if that's the case (that's what I usually do).

In this thread I'm talking about adding pectinase to the milled pulp, before pressing, to break down pectin and improve yield.

I don't think that if you have a decent press that pectinase will markedly or measurably increase your yield. My pulp out of the press is dry to the touch and feel, and without much left to it.

Hm. Just going off of what I've read, I have no experience with this application of pectinase so I can't say for sure. Guess there's really only one way to find out... time for a day of press experiments.

Back