Shortest time to krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFlatline

Reaction score
So I pitched onto a yeast cake for the first time 2 weeks ago. Everything went according to plan, and by the time I finished racking my beer into the carboy I could swear I could see clumps of yeast *leaping* off the bottom of the carboy into solution. I had rinsed the yeast about an hour earlier, and that afternoon it had been a trub cake for a previous batch of beer.

20 minutes later on a whim I checked the beer to see what was happening. I had a thick krausen.

3 minutes later I had to rig a blowoff tube as the thing did it's best to replicate Vesuvius. I literally watched the carboy foam and start to try to overflow.

Fermentation went hard and heavy for 15 hours, then calmed down to almost nothing. Pitched Sunday night, no activity and the beer starting to clarify Tuesday afternoon. That was 2 weeks ago. I'll taste it in another week.

We've had eleventy billion threads on yeast having a lag time, anyone else ever have a 20 minute lag time or less?

Let this be a lesson to the n00bs at any rate. The first time you pitch onto a yeast cake, do yourself a favor and have a blowoff tube rigged.

I was looking to see how quick the one I posted in my own thread like this. The funny thing is I asked the exact same question 1 year ago yesterday. :D

But you got me beat.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/whats-fastest-youve-developed-krauzen-90788/

Mine was 5.5 hours ater I pitched that I noticed it, but then again I pitched and walked right out the door for a hockey game.

Looks like Eviltoj had one in 20 minutes on a cake just like you did. :mug:

Brewed yesterday. I had sorta old Wyeast 1098 (from March), so made a large starter in 3 steps, each step one liter, totaling a 3 liter starter. First two steps used a stir plate, the last step didn't. Decanted off the liquid and pitched just the slurry into about 22 liters of 1.046 wort. Checked on it 3 hours later and a krauesen was already starting. At 5 hours it was super active with a nice krauesen.

Yep. The RIS I put onto a cake recently was up and running in about 15 minutes or so. It was the WLP007 (Dry English) yeast that I had racked a Best Bitter off of about 45 minutes before. Within 15 minutes, there was visible activity. A few minutes or so later, I could see tiny CO2 bubbles. After about 30-40 minutes, I put an airlock on it, just for grins. The airlock bubbles were coming out like a machine gun. Fun!

TL

Back