Shlenkerla Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spearko520

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with schlenkerla's yeast(s)? i made a starter from the rauchweizen dregs and have decanted a couple of times. I am really curious to see what happens in a one gallon batch. The starter beer is very smokey- it has the same taste as the rauchweizen. I thought it may have been residual beer, at first- but now i don't think it is- though i have been drinking for 6 or 7 hours, so what i think or don't think may be compromised a tad. Their rauchweizen is one of my very many most favorite beers and i am amazed if the uniqueness of the taste has as much to do with yeast than the ingredients bill. I read smoked beers in the CBSS a while back, but remember more of a focus on the malting process (obviously). I am going to do a 1 G starter beer with no smoked malt to see what happens, and i'll do a more traditional recipe for a five gallon batch. Does anyone have any info to contribute on this? Thanks in advance.

thanks, that's a good list to have - oldsock has a good list of sours and brett harvestables on his blog site too. I see that schlenkerla isn't on the list you linked too - they have a few brews that are unfiltered, but i know the weizen is bottle conditioned and is definitely harvestable. I'm looking for some info on the smokey characteristic of the yeast...there are so many beers that you can get yeast from - probably an update to that list is in order

Back