Shirron vs Therminator which one is better?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JUSTINTIMEBREWING

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a new chiller and Ive been looking at the Shirron and the Therminator. The Shirron is about 100 bucks cheaper than the Therminator, which makes me thinks the Shirron is not as effective. Which one would you guys recommend?:mug:

You are comparing apples to oranges. You are comparing a Shirron Plate chiller to the Therminator that has almost triple the surface area. Actually, according to the chart below the Therminator is cheaper per square foot of surface area.

662473-1.gif

Therminator is far better.

There was a graph (Chillzilla vs. Shirron vs. Therminator) on the Blichmann site, but it was removed when they updated their site about 6 months ago. Might show up under the "Competition" tab if Blichmann ever finishes their site.

It showed the Therminator kicking the other's asses. Biased? Yea, maybe. I love mine, and it cools my 10 gallon batches in about 20 minutes. Maybe faster, but I use a pump and just return back to the boil kettle after the chiller. I usually walk away and come back later and it is cold. Love it.

We ran some tests and the blichman one cooled about 5 min faster than the Shirron. But to save 5 min or $100?

And if you buy the Shirron from MoreBeer and you hate it, we do have a liberal return policy.

Therminator is far better.

There was a graph (Chillzilla vs. Shirron vs. Therminator) on the Blichmann site, but it was removed when they updated their site about 6 months ago. Might show up under the "Competition" tab if Blichmann ever finishes their site.

It showed the Therminator kicking the other's asses. Biased? Yea, maybe. I love mine, and it cools my 10 gallon batches in about 20 minutes. Maybe faster, but I use a pump and just return back to the boil kettle after the chiller. I usually walk away and come back later and it is cold. Love it.

Just wondering why you return to the BK? I also use a pump but right into the fermentor.

I have only used my Therminator twice now. I just replaced my IC chiller and am amazed with the results. I think setting up the connections takes much longer than the actual chilling. I am also getting about 47 degree tap water which I am sure helps.

I hear good things about both of them, but if you have the means... Go with Blichmann and it's larger surface area.

You are comparing apples to oranges. You are comparing a Shirron Plate chiller to the Therminator that has almost triple the surface area. Actually, according to the chart below the Therminator is cheaper per square foot of surface area.

662473-1.gif

Thanks for taking the time to show me this useful info. Much appreciated!:mug:

Just wondering why you return to the BK? I also use a pump but right into the fermentor.

I have only used my Therminator twice now. I just replaced my IC chiller and am amazed with the results. I think setting up the connections takes much longer than the actual chilling. I am also getting about 47 degree tap water which I am sure helps.

I use pool water for cooling. Sometimes it's really cold, sometimes it's not.

We ran some tests and the blichman one cooled about 5 min faster than the Shirron. But to save 5 min or $100?

And if you buy the Shirron from MoreBeer and you hate it, we do have a liberal return policy.

No chill is free, so there is that if you want to save money. Once I pull my wallet out, I don't ever want to look back. So, in my questionable way of thinking, I wait until I can afford the best.

I'm really bad with buyer's remorse.

No chill is free, so there is that if you want to save money. Once I pull my wallet out, I don't ever want to look back. So, in my questionable way of thinking, I wait until I can afford the best.

I'm really bad with buyer's remorse.

The better one is the one you can afford.

As products improve there will always be buyer remorse. Every product has it's limits that you will discover at the most in-opportune times.

Back