She's about to blow!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patd

Reaction score
Brewed up a stout yesterday with a starter, I probably didn't need that but wanted to run through the process. I just checked on it, and the lid is bowing up and the top has wort on it which is pushing through the airlock.

So my question is, do I pull of the airlock and let out the pressure, or let things be and see how it goes and clean up the mess if the top pops?

You need to rig a blow off hose. If the airlock becomes stopped up you can blow the lid to the ceiling. Just take a piece of hose maybe two feet long and put it in place of the airlock and submerge it about a half of an inch into a beer bottle filled with water.

Yup, get some 1/2" hose, and put it on the center post of your airlock like mine, and put the other end in a container full of StarSan:
blowoff.jpg

And it'll help control violent blowoff like this:

Last edited by a moderator:
I vote you camcord the lid blowing off :D:D:D
Then you can add the blow off hose :mug:

I vote you camcord the lid blowing off :D:D:D
Then you can add the blow off hose :mug:

Haha too late, I already put it on ;)

A few seconds after the airlock came off foam starting crawling out, that thing is going nuts.

My first time using blowoff i just used the hose for my racking cane and stuffed it in the hole of the lid on the bucket . it works great

LOL was great except cleaning up the beer off the ceiling and walls......

heres a picture of what i did

DSCF2003.JPG

I made a Belgian Dubbel on Christmas eve, and used a starter for the first time. 2 days into fermentation my airlock was full of wort. It was 5.25 gallons in my 8 gallon bucket. I rigged up a blow off tube with the airlock like the above pic. It was pretty crazy. A week later and the airlock is still bubbling along like mad, so I hope its ok.

Christ. This worries me. I left a little over 5 gallon batch of a Simcoe IPA in a 6.5 gallon fermenter alone for the last 3 weeks. Hope I don't come home to a mess...

My previous 2 brews didn't have a problem, they were higher gravity beers that I didn't use a starter on. I'm assuming this was caused by the combination of a healthy starter and a lower gravity beer.

I checked on it this morning, there is a constant stream of bubbles like someone is blowing on the other end with at least 6 ounces of wort that has blown down the tube into the sanitizer.

Is there anything I need to do to try and slow it down? I'm assuming this is going to result in some off flavors.

My first stout was brewed a few days prior to me going out of town for a week. I used a 3/8" blow off tube that got clogged the night before I left and I was woken up to the sound of a gunshot. I checked my brew-closet and there was beer splattered on the ceiling and krausen foaming out the top of the carboy. (by the way, i let the krausen ooze out for a few minutes to relieve pressure before i recapped it)

This all happened 30 minutes before I was supposed to walk out the door for a week. Luckily it happened when it did or I would have ruined what possibly was my best beer yet.

I have now purchased a bigger blow off tube.

Good Info People! I'm in the midst of brewing for the first time and after 2 days in the carboy, I woke up this morning to our three cats watching the foam bubble out of the airlock! I took it out and cleaned it up but I think I'll head to the hardware store and get some hose to rig up a blow off tube. This site rocks! Thanks!

I had violent fermentation on my first stout also.

I now have a nice quarter inch of yeast sitting on the bottom of the blow-off bucket (which is filled with star san).

I've heard of people top-harvesting yeast from the krausen. Would the yeast sitting on the bottom of the blow-off bucket still viable for a yeast washing process? Would the star san kill the yeast?

I already harvested some yeast from the starter so I don't have any plans to do anything with the blow-off bucket other than to throw it out but I was just curious...

i always use blow-offs, but i never needed it.

i dont know why, i've never had big krausens. i make starters, aerate well with a drill whip, keep temps in check. i stuffed 5 gallons of esb (1.054) into a 5 gallon carboy and I still didn't need one!

oh, no fermcap, either.

I just made a 5.5 gal 2H clone in a 6.5 gallon carboy with us-05 yeast...All I can say is thank God for a blow-off...what a mess it would have been. Fermented in the lower range 60-65 too...would have been a lot worse if it was warmer.

I usually use a blow off for the first two or three days, just to be safe, but when I was not paying attention to my fermentation temps (a few years back), they were fairly violent. Much better at 62-65F. A 1/2" hose provides plenty of room at the lower temps.

Back