Shelf life of keg dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfgonzo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What's your average shelf life for hop aroma when dry hopping in the keg?

I made a gonzo-recipe IPA, and dry hopped it with 1.5oz of amarillo and let it sit for about a week. After that, my first week's worth of pulls were amazing, total grapefruit bombs in flavor and aroma. Now, a mere seven days after I tapped it, nothing. Both the aroma AND flavor have dropped to almost nothing.

I'm considering another dry hop addition just to keep things going, and wondered if that was the norm?

I've experienced pretty much same thing. I found that 1min and flame out hop additions were more lasting. Are you dry hopping cold or room temp? If cold maybe room temp would be better?

I usually dry hop once in the primary after fermentation stops at 68 degrees or so. Then another dry hop in the keg with a fine mesh bag. For me the flavor/aroma is great for 2-3 weeks at least. Still enjoyable after that but you can tell its not what it once was.

Hmmm. I've found that the hop flavors and aroma last much much longer when dry hopping in the keg vs in the fermenter. It typically gets better for the first 3 weeks or so, peaks, and it seems to have faded noticeably by the 2 month mark (if there's still any left by then).

I typically do heavy whirlpool additions, but I did that before I started dry hopping in the keg too. My dry hop process is to add dry hops to the keg, counterpressure transfer the beer into the keg, store in the ferm fridge at 64° for 3-5 days, and then move to the keezer. I also only use whole leaf hops for dryhopping.

To add to my original post: I'm using pellet hops in a mesh bag, and dry hopping cold. Things were great for a week, like I said, and then nothing. I'll remove and do another addition, see how long that lasts.

Hmmm. I've found that the hop flavors and aroma last much much longer when dry hopping in the keg vs in the fermenter. It typically gets better for the first 3 weeks or so, peaks, and it seems to have faded noticeably by the 2 month mark (if there's still any left by then).

I typically do heavy whirlpool additions, but I did that before I started dry hopping in the keg too. My dry hop process is to add dry hops to the keg, counterpressure transfer the beer into the keg, store in the ferm fridge at 64° for 3-5 days, and then move to the keezer. I also only use whole leaf hops for dryhopping.

I tend to find the same thing.

Update: Opened my keg to make another hop addition.... Fridge was too cold! Half the keg was ice including my hop bag.. frozen solid! Warming things up now and will report back in a few days.

[Edit] This explains the ... potency... of the last pint I pulled. I don't recommend Eis-IPAs.

Back