Shelf life of cleaner and sanitizer solutions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepper60

Reaction score
What is the shelf life of a slightly used solution of Starsan and a moderately used solution of PBW? I just get tired of making up fresh solutions, using a third of it and then throwing them out. I know Starsan has a working pH of 3 and never use it if it is above a 3. So is that the judge for Starsan? What about PBW? Is it kinda of like dishwater or the bucket you use to the wash the car, i.e., until it has too much junk or gunk in it? Anyone have thoughts or ideas?

I keep starsan for a month or so. Depends on the ph and how dirty it gets. The pbw waters the grass after one use.

Weeks, months.
Even when it gets cloudy it still seems to work fine. Don't make more than you need. Fill a spray bottle and a small bucket, they come in handy. I also keep a small Starsan drenched washcloth in that bucket to mop-sanitize things that are large or unwieldy, like the sides of buckets, lids, rims, outside of racking canes, etc.

If your tap water is (very) hard, prepare the working solution with RO or distilled water, it stays clear much longer. As long as the pH is under 3 it does its work. You can add some fresh concentrate or phosphoric acid to bring the pH back in range (2.65-3). But if you always clean things first and rinse them off with water before dunking in Starsan, there little risk the pH will rise. I toss it and make new when the solution becomes dirty or gray looking. A 32oz bottle lasted me 7 years, brewing at least once a month.

For things where extra good sanitation is most important, like yeast vessels, etc, I usually make some fresh solution, just in case.

PBW, if clean enough, can be stored and reused. The O2 action dissipates with first use, but the other active ingredients remain. I always have a few jugs of used solution around to recirculate through my hoses, pump, and plate chiller.

Mix your Five Star sanitizers with distilled water into chemical resistant spray bottles. It will keep indefinitely.

16oz chemical resistant spray bottles cost like $3 or $4.

128oz of distilled water is like 80¢.

Pro tip: Use a mL syringe to measure the chemical. 1fl.oz is about 30mL.

Weeks, months.
Even when it gets cloudy it still seems to work fine. Don't make more than you need. Fill a spray bottle and a small bucket, they come in handy. I also keep a small Starsan drenched washcloth in that bucket to mop-sanitize things that are large or unwieldy, like the sides of buckets, lids, rims, outside of racking canes, etc.

If your tap water is (very) hard, prepare the working solution with RO or distilled water, it stays clear much longer. As long as the pH is under 3 it does its work. You can add some fresh concentrate or phosphoric acid to bring the pH back in range (2.65-3). But if you always clean things first and rinse them off with water before dunking in Starsan, there little risk the pH will rise. I toss it and make new when the solution becomes dirty or gray looking.

I agree 110%... But I still change it out for fresh every 3-4 brews or if it gets too dirty. It maintains a great pH for its function but in my experience it can get 'chunky', amiright?!?

I use the spray bottle with Star San and sanitize in buckets also. I store the Star San solution in one gallon vinegar jugs. Sturdier than distilled water jugs.

I let the bucket with the Star San solution sit for a few hours then pour back into the gallon jugs. If there is a speck of something in the bottom of the bucket a few ounces gets dumped.

You are a brave man for storing anything brewing related in a vinegar jug.

Oh yeah, you may not have noticed, @flars is the bravest brewer of us all!

You should see how he conducts boils, wrangles yeast, and racks wort! Did I mention he also drinks his own beer? ;)

The type of plastic these jugs are made from rinse clean. No aroma left. I also use 1/4 ounce per gallon for my Star San solution as a safety factor.

Oh yeah, you may not have noticed, @flars is the bravest brewer of us all!

You should see how he conducts boils, wrangles yeast, and racks wort! Did I mention he also drinks his own beer? ;)

LOL I meant wrt leeching odors/tastes and the fact that I have an unfounded fear of acetobacter . :)

LOL I meant wrt leeching odors/tastes and the fact that I have an unfounded fear of acetobacter . :)

Vinegar that comes in those jugs is distilled and diluted to 5% acetic acid. There's no acetobacter to be found anywhere. Those gallon jugs make decent fermentors for small batches and leftover wort experiments too. They're amazingly sturdy, and don't develop cracks in the most unlikely spots, like milk jugs do.

I use empty plastic gallon mayonnaise jars (Helmsman) to store used PBW in. Or measure out a gallon of water. Or mix something in. Very handy!

A good soak with PBW removes all last traces of vinegar.

As a matter of fact, buying them with vinegar is a lot cheaper than ordering them empty from U-Line or the likes.

And if you know the proper sequence of mixing vinegar and chlorine it's an excellent brewhouse general sanitizer

Disclaimer: don't do this unless you know how read and follow directions.

Latest posts

Back