Shelf life of an extract kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alehouserock

Reaction score
I was thinking of buying three kits from Northern Brewer and buying my yeast at my local brewshop.
How long will the grain and extract stay fresh?

If the grains have been crushed I have always been told to use them within 2 weeks or so. I would think canned extract would be like any other canned good, good for a really long time.

I bought 3 extract kits from NB in around October and brewed last one in January. The first 2 were brewed in late December and I did taste some extract twang in them. The last one came out 85% as good as the fresh batches that I've made of the same recipe. Maybe it is because I cold crashed it for longer but its definitely better.

I ran into some problems that prevented me from brewing for some time and that caused a long delay. From now on I plan to brew a kit within 1 month of getting it. I ruined one kit by breaking a thermometer in my pot and it was 2 months old and when I opened LME to use for a starter it had mold in it.

YMMV

I bought 3 extract kits from NB in around October and brewed last one in January. The first 2 were brewed in late December and I did taste some extract twang in them. The last one came out 85% as good as the fresh batches that I've made of the same recipe. Maybe it is because I cold crashed it for longer but its definitely better.

I ran into some problems that prevented me from brewing for some time and that caused a long delay. From now on I plan to brew a kit within 1 month of getting it. I ruined one kit by breaking a thermometer in my pot and it was 2 months old and when I opened LME to use for a starter it had mold in it.

YMMV

Thank you!

p.s. I am a big Brooklyn fan. I loved Brooklyn Brewing and Grimaldi's!

If you keep your kits in the fridge you should get a couple months out of them without issue. Back in the day we made dozens of kits that sat for months and turned out fine.

Back