Shaking your primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildKnight

Reaction score
When is it appropriate to shake your primary? What is the purpose (logic) behind doing this? Is more better? Is there a critical window? Point after which you never shake?

If you adopt the primary only method, will shaking it replace the movement of the beer that same claim is the main reason secondaries produce clearer beers?

For aerating purposes I shake as violently as I can without splashing. If it's a carboy I leave the cap off, if it's a bucket, I loosesly fit the lid on and swirl.

If you have a stuck fermentation you can gently rouse the yeast by tipping the fermenter on it it's side and slowly rolling it in a semi-circle.

Otherwise don't do it.

You can shake it until your arms fall off before you add the yeast. After fermentation has started leave that baby alone. Aeration after fermentation is bad.

The whole moving to make clearer beer is a crock of bull poopie. I make crystal clear beer using primary only.

Once you pitch your yeast and fermentation is starting, the only reason to do it if you like to make liquid cardboard. Some folks do it thinking to make thir aiclock bubble (like it matters if it does or doesn't) but they run the risk of oxidyzing their beer. So really there is no reason to do so after you have aerated your beer at yeast pitch.

How much moving would be considered too much? I have all of my brewing/fermenting buckets stored in the basement where the temp stays around 66 F but I carry the buckets upstairs in order to bottle or transfer to kegs. (I use the advice revy mentioend in past posts about bottleing with the dishwasher door pull downward.)

In terms of initial fermentation I usually leave the bucket for the first 24 hours on the first floor (kitchen) prior to carrying it downstairs because it is just a bit warmer in the kitchen and I have been told that will help kick start primary fermentation. Should I just carry to the basement right after pitching yeast?

Moving the buckets between floors once or twice is okay. Just don't sit there shaking the living heck out of it to try and get the airlock to bubble.

Once primary fermentation has ended, there is no Oxygen left in the head space of the carboy to 'aireate' the beer. It's all heavy CO2, so go for it.
I usually swirl/rouse with my racking cane after for big beers. To each their own.

I shake my bucket vigorously after pitching my yeast for two reasons. One, to aerate the wort prior to fermentation. Two, to seal the interface between the bucket and the lid. Less likelihood for a leak. Seems to work.

NRS

You can shake it until your arms fall off before you add the yeast. After fermentation has started leave that baby alone. Aeration after fermentation is bad.

The whole moving to make clearer beer is a crock of bull poopie. I make crystal clear beer using primary only.

Have to disagree with this to a degree. Will the yeast settle out and the beer in the bottle or keg clear? Yes if its a flocculant yeast but I secondary to reduce the amount of yeast in suspension or sedimenting in the container. I guess you could accomplish this by a longer primary but IMO you'll still get more junk and yeast in your final product from the surface and sides of the fermenter. Just a personal choice here as I have done it your way too and the beer was great. I just do not mind the additional step.

Alan

Have to disagree with this to a degree. Will the yeast settle out and the beer in the bottle or keg clear? Yes if its a flocculant yeast but I secondary to reduce the amount of yeast in suspension or sedimenting in the container. I guess you could accomplish this by a longer primary but IMO you'll still get more junk and yeast in your final product from the surface and sides of the fermenter. Just a personal choice here as I have done it your way too and the beer was great. I just do not mind the additional step.

Alan

I do it both ways myself without one being way being particularly better than the other. I was answering the statement someone had made about HAVING to move it for clear beer. That is indeed bull poopie.

I make a lot of beer and I'm never in a hurry to do anything to it. I've usually leave beers about 6 weeks (or longer) in primary so they are always very clear and the yeast cake is solid. There is usually more sediment in the commercial bottle conditioned beer than in my bottles.

Latest posts

Back