SG frequency - my simplistic approach

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chezhed

Reaction score
I read that people take gravity readings during fermentation, often daily. When I originally made beer using extracts I was told I didn't even need to check it :D The method I was taught was pitch and forget for three days...check for activity...if you got some, you are good....wait 10 more days and transfer to secondary......I never had a "bad" beer though I suspect I might could have made "better" ones.

So now, many years later and doing all grain mostly, I kind of follow the same principle.....I pitch and temperature controll it and only look at it after 24 hours and 72 hours just to see what's going on. I never take a gravity reading for at least 2 weeks, usually 3, and that's when I transfer for dry hopping or secondary when used.

So I'm curious, how often do you check gravity during fermentation and at what frequency....just wondering.

I check right before pitching and then not again for a couple weeks, usually three weeks.

Check before boil, before pitching and then not until bottling/kegging day (usually 4+ weeks in the primary).

I usually only check prior to pitching and then right before I bottle or keg. I usually let it sit for a month or so in primary and I usually just assume the yeasties are doing their job. I prefer not to open and close my fermenter all the time and introduce oxygen.

I check once with a hydrometer! I use the refractometer for preboil readings and OG, and then check the FG with the hydrometer right before packaging. If it's where it's supposed to be and the beer is clear, then I know it's done.

I just started checking preboil although I've yet to actually use that info to make any adjustments. Then I measure once before pitching and then when I keg, usually 2-3 weeks.

fwiw

1st check: have I sparged enough?
2nd check: just before pitching
3rd check: when racking to secondary (yeah, I'm Old School ;)
Final check: racking to keg

3rd and 4th are just to see if anything untoward has happened - like an infection. They aren't necessary by any means, but my OC id won't let me skip 'em...

Cheers!

+1 to the into fermenter and out of the fermenter as my only two checks. Unless I think something is wrong.

Typically three "fermenter related" checks. Once on the way in, once after 1.5 weeks, and once when it oughta be done- about 2 weeks after pitching. The 1.5 week is because I really don't like babysitting the temp., and am hoping it's done. Kyle

Refractometer check post boil, before pitching yeast and then hydrometer right before it goes to bottle/keg... I give mine 4+ weeks in primary, so as long as the second reading is where it's supposed to be (or close enough), and (as Yooper said) it looks right (plus tastes right) it goes to bottle/keg. IMO, it's always a good idea to taste the hydrometer sample before you decide to do anything with a batch. Better to check before you bottle/rack it than find out after that you shouldn't have.

BTW, the only time I've taken daily readings is when making mead. Even then, only until it hit's the 1/3 break...

reading before the boil
reading before ther fermenter
sit for two-four weeks depending on beer
reading before bottling

Mike

I like to have a lot of information about the progress of my beers so I can know if something is going wrong ASAP, not to mention, just having a better understanding of how the process progresses.

I take several refractometer readings during the mash and sparge and at pre-boil to verify I'm getting appropriate conversion and extraction. Probably at least 5 reading per batch.

I take my first hydro reading before pitching, then I usually wait 48 hours for the second. After that I'll take a hydro reading about every day or two, depending on the beer, until the gravity stabilizes. I've rarely had a beer that took more than 5-6 to reach FG, so that's generally 3-5 gravity measurements throughout the ferment.

Like JKoravos, I too monitor my brew closely. Keep in mind, once your target FG is sustained, you need to "condittion" the brew. This done best by racking to a secondary because any trub and or cold break will be left behind when racking. Once out of the primary, the yeast cake can be recovered and the process of yeast separation can get underway. I am a firm beliver of not opening the lid, so I drilled a hole and applied a grommet and a plug. By removing the 3/8 tapered plug I can thief a sample. The beauty of all grain brewing is to have complete control of your brew.

Sample often thruoght all phases of brewing to get to know your brew.

After pitching, I take a sample and leave it in the hydrometer beaker with the hydrometer still in. Granted it is warmer by my kitchen sink than in the ferment chamber, I still get an idea of what the FG will be, and how long it'll take.

Several refractometer readings of the runnings during the sparge to make sure I'm not oversparging (I fly sparge).
Another refractometer reading at the end of the sparge and topping up to the pre-boil volume as a sanity check (did I forget to add any grains, was the grain scale set to Kg instead of lbs, do I need to adjust the gravity to reach the required OG).
One more refractometer reading on the way to the fermenter (OG and efficiency calculations).
If fermentation doesn't start within 48 hours, I would then take a hydrometer reading followed by another one 24 - 48 hours later (but I have never had to do this).
After 3 weeks in primary, hydrometer reading to make sure it is ready to secondary, keg, or bottle. If the gravity is still high, repeat this step at weekly intervals.

-a.

Latest posts

Back