Setup Idea for Heat Exchange Mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirilis

Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know herms systems pump wort in the coil through the HLT, but i had an idea and i wasnt sure if it would work or not.

Use an old Ice Cream machine stirrer and run the coil in the mash tun .. dump grain then turn on stirrer and run hot water from HLT through the coil in the mash tun.

with everything stirring and water above teh grainbed temp should be distributed evenly right? or does this sound like a stupid idea?

You would have to stir the mash quite vigorously to keep the temperature equalized, which may bring up problems of its own. I would think the heat transfer would be pretty poor, as far as speed at which you could raise temp without hot spots, etc.

I imagine there is a good reason why plenty of people use RIMS and HERMS systems, and even direct fire mash tuns with a false bottom, all of which heat and recirculate the wort rather than directly trying to heat the grain bed itself.

Back