HERMS Mash Temp Reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdug619

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Tried searching through threads but couldn't find an answer on which probe I should be gauging my mash temp on. I have a 3-15 gallon kettle setup with a 50 herms in the HLT.

I have a temp probe at the out on the mash tun and a probe at the out on the herms coil. Both are inline in a tee fitting before ball valve. Typically, the herms coil temp runs about 1.5 degrees higher that the mash tun out reading.

Which one should I base my mash temps on or should I take an average of the two?

Thanks!

Nature is rarely on/off. It’s more of a bell curve and IMO 1.5°F differential is so close it’s no big deal. …but I measure at the point just before the recirculation return to the MLT. I should probably have a gauge installed center of the MLT but I use a bag and don’t want to get hung up on a probe.

Thanks! Figured the difference was not too much to worry about.

Did learn a few more tips on mashing in at least while searching before posting the question. My strike water has been to way to low at start.

Latest posts

Back