Setting gap on new grain mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just got a 3 roller monster mill for Christmas. I don’t have feeler gauges but they are on order. However they won’t be here in time for brewing on Wednesday.

I measured my debit card and it’s .031” thick. My grain bill is 50% pils, 35% white wheat, and 15% torridied wheat. Am I good to use the credit card to set the gap on this or should I let the Homebrew shop mill the grains one last time? I have another card that measured .029”…

Id just roll with it. There is no “correct” mill gap. Just the one you are used to and calibrate your equipment profile to. That’s a fairly tight mill gap that will handle all grains.

Can't remember the measurement (.030 to .035) but I have a dedicated butter knife in brew drawer for gapping. Not familiar with the 3roller are you setting two gaps. I probably wouldn't set first gap as low as the final one.

Just got a 3 roller monster mill for Christmas. I don’t have feeler gauges but they are on order. However they won’t be here in time for brewing on Wednesday.

I measured my debit card and it’s .031” thick. My grain bill is 50% pils, 35% white wheat, and 15% torridied wheat. Am I good to use the credit card to set the gap on this or should I let the Homebrew shop mill the grains one last time? I have another card that measured .029”…
Nice Christmas present!
You could pickup a set of feeler gauges at most auto parts stores.
I'm sure there is one closer than Wednesday.

Edit: Cookies58 is right too. Even with the feelers gauges it is a hit and miss activity until YOU are happy with the result.
A gauge just helps you replicate your setting and get it even end to end.

Id just roll with it. There is no “correct” mill gap. Just the one you are used to and calibrate your equipment profile to. That’s a fairly tight mill gap that will handle all grains.
Yep that’s what I’ve read. I guess I just wanted to make sure that since I’m using that much Wheat that I won’t have any issues.
Used the .031” credit card so we’ll see how it goes on Wednesday! Excited to finally have our own mill!!

Can't remember the measurement (.030 to .035) but I have a dedicated butter knife in brew drawer for gapping. Not familiar with the 3roller are you setting two gaps. I probably wouldn't set first gap as low as the final one.
Nope just one gap between the drive roller and the bottom roller.

Nice Christmas present!
You could pickup a set of feeler gauges at most auto parts stores.
I'm sure there is one closer than Wednesday.

Edit: Cookies58 is right too. Even with the feelers gauges it is a hit and miss activity until YOU are happy with the result.
A gauge just helps you replicate your setting and get it even end to end.
I agree! I would have loved to have saved up for the SS Brewtech one but that’s bit unrealistic for me.
I’m traveling out to the lhbs tomorrow so maybe I pad one!

Gap will matter more to your MT, or how you mash, than many other factors. Going too tight can give you a stuck mash/sparge. I would go to an automotive store if you're in a rush and get the feeler gauges from them. IME, most places (with any kind of shopping) have at least one automotive store close enough to get to. Hell your local hardware store might even have them.

I've had two sets since I started crushing my own grain. I recently got the ones my father had been using (from back in the 60's) when I brought the rest of his old tools home. IMO, these are one of the important items every man (and/or all grain brewer) should have at least one set of.

Gap will matter more to your MT, or how you mash, than many other factors. Going too tight can give you a stuck mash/sparge. I would go to an automotive store if you're in a rush and get the feeler gauges from them. IME, most places (with any kind of shopping) have at least one automotive store close enough to get to. Hell your local hardware store might even have them.

I've had two sets since I started crushing my own grain. I recently got the ones my father had been using (from back in the 60's) when I brought the rest of his old tools home. IMO, these are one of the important items every man (and/or all grain brewer) should have at least one set of.
I actually went to Home Depot thinking they would have them. When I asked for them the guy looked at me and said, “what are those?”

i was unable to make it to the auto parts store so I am running with the credit card gap for now

I actually went to Home Depot thinking they would have them. When I asked for them the guy looked at me and said, “what are those?”

i was unable to make it to the auto parts store so I am running with the credit card gap for now

Just run a little grain through and see. Adjust to your liking. That's how I set ours up . I find the right spot and mark it. It helps especially when milling white wheat or something bigger/smaller then 2 row.

Latest posts

Back