Set It and Hurry Up!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyVegas

Reaction score
So, I was going for set it and forget it force carbing on my 3 kegs.

Temp = 40degF average
Oatmeal Stout @ 9PSI
Newcastle Clone @ 9PSI
Pumpkin Ale @ 12PSI

I figure 2-3 weeks for good, solid carb on all three from what I read.

I'm modifying this practice with a daily 5+ minute shake with the gas line disconnected to facilitate more rapid absorption.

Just thinking, anyone ever try this? Any harm? I can't think of any... Just trying to get drinkable brews by Sunday... seems like a best bet.

Dunno if you'll make it by sunday, but no, shaking certainly won't hurt anything. At your "set it" pressure, you run no risk of overcarbing, even WITH shaking.

I failed to mention it's been carbing since Saturday... so it'll have a week+. With thta, the chest freezer seems to be dropping to 35 more than 40... so.. perhaps it'll get just enough to make it.

Shake on!

Shaking will stir up yeast and any other sediment, in which case the kegs will still need to sit a day or two to clear.

I figure I'll give it some shakes until Thursday, then let it sit still @ 40F.

See how it goes...

Out of sheer anxiousness... I cranked all of them up to 30psi and gave them a 5-10 minute shake to get a boost.

Now the sit at their original carbing temps.

See how that goes...

I set the pressure a couple pounds high with beer at temp, shake 15 minutes or so, reduce pressure to serving and let sit for 2-3 days. The last rest is key IMHO, without it = foam + flat beer. I'm drinking a pilsner that I pulled out of the lager fridge on saturday and its perfectly carbed.

I figure Ill be serving between 8-10psi I'd think..
And now, I have the 3 kegs sitting about 2-3 PSI above their ideal, which is near serving pressure.
That combined with another good 10 minute shake @ about 20psi tomorrow... I think I should be good after letting it rest until the weekend.

Back