Session Rye EPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tallguybrewer

Reaction score
Last weekend I started a project of attempting to brew a session rye pale (or extra pale) ale. For reference, I am aiming for something of a hybrid between Uinta Wyld (not a rye beer but subject to a CYBI episode) and Great Lakes Rye of the Tiger (which posts their ingredients but not their recipe). This recipe uses a little less rye than I would normally use, but given the lower gravity, I thought it best to start lower and ramp up in subsequent batches. I am not going for a hop bomb with this beer, more of a very drinkable rye beer with some character. I also did not want to use the darker crystal malts that are typically found with rye beers these days (I save those for my danky fall Rye IPA). I find the rye hidden behind the caramel.

Comments and/or critiques welcome! I will update as the process moves along.

American Pale Ale
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal Brewer:

Ingredients
6 lbs 2-row Pale Malt (Weyerman)
1 lbs 12.0 oz Rye Malt
1 lbs Munich, Dark (10L)
8.0 oz Caramel 10L
8.0 oz Carapils
2.0 oz Biscuit

0.50 oz Warrior - FWH
0.50 oz Columbus - Boil 10.0 min
0.50 oz Simcoe - Boil 10.0 min
0.50 oz Columbus - hop stand (170 for 45 min)
0.50 oz Simcoe - hop stand (170 for 45 min)
1.00 oz Simcoe - Dry Hop

Mash: 155 for 60 minutes
Measured Original Gravity: 1.047 SG
IBU: 35.3 IBUs
Yeast: US-05

Kegged and carbed this beer. Turned out really well, but the recipe is not where I want it just yet. It is definitely a beer I could drink all day.

While the body was pretty good due to the higher mash temp, caramel malts, and rye, the backbone flavor was lacking a bit. I used Weyerman 2 row as I have been using this malt with great success and it is slight more kilned than domestic 2 row. However, I think an my next batch I will switch to a 50/50 mix of domestic 2 row and Vienna. Also, the rye did not come through as much as I would have liked flavor-wise. Next time I will up the amount to 2 lbs, split equally between malted and flaked rye.

Perfect color. Great hop character that isn't fatiguing. Last year's Simcoe crop gives me a lot of grapefruit as a dry hop. Once I get the malt bill where I want it to be, I will likely play around with the hops. I love chinook with my rye beers, so maybe I will blend that with something out of the ordinary (perhaps Pacifica).

I will post my next recipe when it is time to re-brew.

Sweet deal, a rye beer is on our brew next list. I was going to try the american wheat/rye beer malt bill out of the brewing classic styles book. It has around 50% 2 row, 30% malted rye, and 20% wheat malt. Not sure how it would be. Was going to bitter with magnum and toss in some cascade, Amarillo, and columbus during the last 10 minutes and flameout, shooting for 25ish ibus, and a gravity around 1.052. Still not sure which way to go.

It is my opinion that rye can get lost depending on a recipe. I also like to mash rye low to keep it from being too creamy, which all ryes have a tendency of being. Considering how much Munich you have, and the hops and crystal, I don't see any reason for carapils. I'd just replace it with rye.

Good call on chinook. I love that hop with rye.

I have a not dissimilar beer crashing, to be kegged today. Looking forward to it!

I agree with the carapils comment. Perhaps I will drop it in the next batch. I was initially concerned about a 4.6% beer not having enough body, but it is almost perfect. Increasing the rye and adding flaked rye will only help with that.

Cheers!

Back