Session Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeSpartaNJ

Reaction score
For the upcoming fall months, I have decided I want to brew a string of low abv session beers. I chose a porter to the the first. Let me know what you think.

based on 75% efficiency

7# Maris Otter
.75#Chocolate Malt
.5# Black Patent or black barley
.5# Crystal 60

Mash @ 154

1oz EKG @ 60
1oz EKG @ 20

Nottingham yeast

OG should be 1.043

Shooting for 4% above or just above.

Cheers.

I thought you were aiming for lower abv than that (e.g., 3.5% abv)! :D
Yeah, it should be ok. I'd just consider replacing some chocolate malt with brown or amber malt (e.g., I'd have 1/4lb chocolate and 1/2lb amber or remove the crystal and chocolate completely and have 1.5lb brown malt). If you went very low on abv you could do with something like 5lb pale, 2lb amber & 1/2lb black patent. If you want more body, just have more amber, brown and crystal malts as proportion of the grist and remove the chocolate, black patent and roast barley.

Also, you might want to reconsider the yeast. Nottingham will munch most of the body out, so you could switch to something like S04 to keep some. On the other hand, you can switch to more less fermentable malts in the grist to keep some body.

Back