Serving temp & pressure compromises

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yermej

Reaction score
I'm nearly finished with my two tap kegerator and I currently have two kegs chilling and carbing - one of Apfelwein and one of a Pyramid ESB clone.

I have a dual regulator so I'm wanting to carb the Apfelwein at 4+ volumes CO2 while keeping the ESB much lower - probably 2 volumes. Right now, I'm chilling them at 40F and that's my planned serving temp. (Maybe it should be higher?)

My problem is that even though I shouldn't have to compromise on the carbonation levels, the fact that I can only serve at one temp might force me to. With the ESB at about 7 psi, I'll need a 3/16" beer line of 20 inches - I'm not sure that'll even reach from keg to faucet (this is a Sanyo conversion). I guess I could use 1/4" line, but I don't have that on hand. If I wanted the ESB even less carbed, say 1.5 volumes, that would put me at 1.4 psi @ 40F. Line length calculators give me a negative length at those settings!

I know there's no right answer to this, but I'd like some opinions and thoughts on a decent compromise between the two. Do you try to carb to style when you keg? Is it not worth the effort to you because of the line balancing needed?

I do not have multiple regs yet and am in your position. My solution has been to force carb the seperate kegs to the desired volumes. Then serve at the lower pressure. The higher carbonated kegs will not go flat immediately and you can give them a shot of juice every once in a while if they start to flatten. This works pretty well for me, although it is not ideal.

Back