Serving higher carbed Belgian Tripel from balanced system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahariton

Reaction score
My system is balanced with 4' of 3/16 lines for serving at 12-13 psi.

Any suggestions for serving a belgian tripel, which needs ~ 20psi to carb up to the recommended 3.3v?

Thanks

Andy

Yes, add extra length to your lines (20-30 ft should do it) and get a second regulator to run at the higher pressure.

There's no magic number for "balancing" a draught system. Lengthening your lines will have 2 effects : a very slightly slower pour for your 12psi beers (we're talking a couple of seconds max), and allowing you to serve beers at a much wider range of carb levels. There will be no negative side effects, despite everything you've read saying otherwise.

When you want a beer turn the gas off and purge a little bit. Then serve. When you are done drinking put the gas back on. You can add more line also. My method wastes a bit of C02...

Use a second primary regulator (you can connect several primary bodies together by connecting the second regulator to the place where the high pressure gauge of the first regulator sits - move the gauge to the last regulator in line) to give higher pressure on the Belgian keg gas line, and install a restrictor in the beer out dip tube of the Belgian's keg to give more resistance.

Use a second primary regulator (you can connect several primary bodies together by connecting the second regulator to the place where the high pressure gauge of the first regulator sits - move the gauge to the last regulator in line) to give higher pressure on the Belgian keg gas line, and install a restrictor in the beer out dip tube of the Belgian's keg to give more resistance.

What kind of restrictor? I like that idea more than splicing in more line

I believe that's the conclusion from the thread. I don't know about food safety for sure, but undyed plastics are generally a better bet than colored ones. There are a couple of other options (one fits on the back of the tap shank) in that thread which are designed for beer use if you are worried about that.

I believe that's the conclusion from the thread. I don't know about food safety for sure, but undyed plastics are generally a better bet than colored ones. There are a couple of other options (one fits on the back of the tap shank) in that thread which are designed for beer use if you are worried about that.

Adding something to the back of the shanks would be tough the way my system is build. Too hard to get to.

Second regulator ordered from kegconnection and mixers ordered from amazon.

In hindsight I should have ordered the two regulator system to start with, which was my plan. Local homebrew shop talked me out of it. Oh well.

Thanks again for the help!

Back