Seeking suggestions: Improve my AG setup (which needs help)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitmask

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought all my AG equipment off craigslist, and I knew it wasn't ideal at the time, but it was what I could find and not a bad price. Having brewed ~10 5gal batches with it, I'm looking to improve it and minimal cost.

I just spent waaayy too much $$ on my keezer build (9 cf, 5 tap) and fermentation chamber build(~4 cf freezer), so I need to let the tides settle a little bit before I start ordering more stuff or pregnant SWMBO will get anngrryy.

My biggest issue with the setup is the MT has the drain hole drilled in the bottom, and I have no false bottom for it. I'm not convinced buying a $80 false bottom is wise, or it'd be better to try and plug that hole, and drill a side port and have the options of a manifold or bazooka, or a dip tube false bottom. I'm skeptical that the hole in the bottom is really that great even with a false bottom, because I figure if it's draining at any speed (I'm fly sparging, in a bag on top of a colander, currently so it shouldn't be too much) that it'll create a funnel effect and channel water through the middle. Plus I can't apply any heat to the bottom to help keep my mash temp.

The other issue is the HLT was done in a similar fashion, with just a nipple JB welded to the keg, so it has hose right next to the heat. Not only am I probably getting deadly chemicals in my beer due to the hose not being rated for such high a heat, but I keep melting the sucker on my burner whenver I pour the water into the MT (too impatient to let it go through the hose).

And finally I'm using an 8.5 gallon Granite Ware 'Big Pot' for my kettle. I know people use this and until the coating gets chipped so it starts to rust it works fine, but it also is preventing me from moving to 10 gal batches (which I don't really have a need for yet, but it may be a nice option in the future).

I don't have a welder, but have friends that could get any welding done on the kegs, so I'm not limited to weldless (or JB Weld) solutions. However, I also work with guys that build electrical systems, and fluidic systems, so I have dreams of moving to an electric or at least single tier pump system some day. So I'm only looking to do what I need to make things easier and improve my beer immediately at this point.

Some ideas I've had:
- Buy false bottom and use MT as is (~$80)
- Plug bottom of MT and add traditional side port w/ valve, then buy a false bottom, bazooka, build a manifold (~$?)
- Plug the MT, buy a igloo cooler and make it into a MT. Convert MT to a brew kettle
- Replace nipple on HLT w/ welded or weldless fitting

And obviously Sight glass, thermo on HLT would be great, but probably future retrofits.

So here it is. Let me know your suggestions, and order of implementation, please! :mug:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21915&stc=1&d=1300325109

IMG00027-20100821-1422.jpg

P3161720.JPG

P3161723.JPG

P3161724.JPG

Back