Seeking a bit of noob apfelwein advice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBigLebrewsk1

Reaction score
First let me say that I linger around the beer boards so forgive my stupid noob question and humor me a tad.

Ok mates, I made my first batch of apfelwein, it is 1 month in the making. I took a gravity sample and it is fermented out. Sampling my sample, I found it dry, the oak is coming through, no real apple character. Reminded me of a decent white wine minus the tannic acidity.

I added a bit of turbinado sugar and I kindve liked that a bit more. So I am leaning toward the direction of a spiced, and back sweetened version. I am sanitizing a cinnamon stick and a few cloves in the oven, and I am thinking of spicing this batch up, and then hitting it with some potassium sorbate in a month prior to adding invert sugar (how much I have no idea on how to determine) and then bottling.

Thoughts of this approach? Would you do it? or go the still wine approach because that is the best that its going to get? for example.

Back