Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kathomas

Reaction score
Is transferring the beer to a secondary fermenter necessary or even helpful if I am not adding anything before bottling? It's a milk stout and there are no additions between beginning fermentation and adding the priming sugar right before bottling. I've looked at a few places to see what people said, but nothing seemed to be particularly convincing for either side.
Thanks,
Katie

Personal preference... you don't need to do secondary... but doing secondary does free up a primary for MORE BEER!

This is the most discussed topic on here, it has been readily covered. I suggest you read THIS thread, it's become the "uber discussion" on this topic thread. Every discussion, question, answer, citation, etch is in that thread....

To Secondary or Not? John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff Weigh In .

Many of us leave our beer in primary for a month minimum then bottle.....We find out beers to be clearer and better tasting.

I suggest you read that thread, and experiment for yourself, and make up your own mind.

There's thousands of threads on here already, where folks have ventured their opinions, and argued incessantly, but it ultimately comes down to what works for you......

I normally do one week primary two weeks secondary, I just like to get off the yeast cake and let more settle out of the beer. Works for me!

Is transferring the beer to a secondary fermenter necessary or even helpful if I am not adding anything before bottling?
Katie

It is not necessary to use a secondary, but also, it is not necessary to do only a primary. This is up to your taste buds. There will be differences in the flavor from the extra time on the yeast. This can be more subtle with certain styles. Some folks prefer the flavors of one method over the other, and still others don't really care

It is also not necessary to do a long primary. If you pitched a proper amount of yeast, and had good temperature control, then a beer with a reasonable OG can easily be ready to bottle/keg within 2 weeks.

You really don't need to secondary. You will probably get less sediment as it is really hard not to get a lot when racking out of the primary. That is about it though.

You really don't need to secondary. You will probably get less sediment as it is really hard not to get a lot when racking out of the primary. That is about it though.

I get less sediment and clearer beer by NOT racking to a secondary and doing a long primary. That's the main reason I do it. My beer is clearer, crisper and cleaner tasting from leaving it longer, letting the yeast clean up after itself, and letting the yeast cake compress.

Would racking half of it to secondary and leaving the rest in
Primary be a terrible idea? I would be interested in trying them side by side but will the greater concentration of yeast per beer volume in the primary be bad?
-Katie

kathomas said:
Would racking half of it to secondary and leaving the rest in
Primary be a terrible idea? I would be interested in trying them side by side but will the greater concentration of yeast per beer volume in the primary be bad?
-Katie

I just moved to ten gallon batches but split between two carboys.....my next brew I'll rack one and leave the other and see if there is a noticeable difference.

Back