Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porter_Stout

Reaction score
I am going to make a mango-wheat beer that uses 2 quarts of Mango Nectar in a secondary fermentation vessel. Am I asking to make a bottle bomb if I prime this like a normal beer? My concern is, will the fruit nectar have sugars that will already carbonate in the bottle? Will adding additional dextrose cause an over-pressurization (bottle bomb)?

Yes, the juice has a bunch of fermentable sugar, and yes, you'll have to adjust your priming sugar accordingly or let the yeast ferment it out first.

Yes, the juice has a bunch of fermentable sugar, and yes, you'll have to adjust your priming sugar accordingly or let the yeast ferment it out first.
So when doing the second fermentation, should I be checking it with the hydrometer, just like I normally would when not using juice? When the SG steadies out, I can prime as normal? I've never brewed with juice in the secondary before.

You might also consider just adding the stuff to the primary and not going to the trouble and risk by moving it to a secondary.

If you are going to do the same brew again then try it out both ways and see if there is any benefit to a secondary over not using the secondary.

Can you find out how much, and what kind of sugars there are in your Mango Nectar? Some sugars won't ferment or even prevent fermentation of the ones that could.

If they're all fermentable, and you know how much, you could use all (or some) of the nectar as your priming syrup, and let your beer naturally carbonate in the bottles.

If you want to retain (some of) the sweetness of the nectar in your beer, there are ways for that too.

You might also consider just adding the stuff to the primary and not going to the trouble and risk by moving it to a secondary.

If you are going to do the same brew again then try it out both ways and see if there is any benefit to a secondary over not using the secondary.
I might have to do that. I brew for chemistry experimentation, so why not...

You can also add the juice to the beer after the primary fermentation is complete (or near complete) in the primary vessel. A secondary fermentation in the primary vessel.

Many believe adding the fruit or juice after the primary fermentation preserves more flavor and aroma.

Edit: typo

Last edited:
Can you find out how much, and what kind of sugars there are in your Mango Nectar? Some sugars won't ferment or even prevent fermentation of the ones that could.

If they're all fermentable, and you know how much, you could use all (or some) of the nectar as your priming syrup, and let your beer naturally carbonate in the bottles.

If you want to retain (some of) the sweetness of the nectar in your beer, there are ways for that too.
Well, I guess the bottle will have the amount of grams of sugar in the nectar. I would figure it would be mostly fructose since it is a no added sugar nectar.

Back