secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6midgets

Big & Tall Brewing
Reaction score
I have my first brew in the primary right now. It is a blonde ale midwest kit. I was just wondering what exactly is the secondary fermenter's purpose.

Secondary fermentation has several purposes. It gets your beer off the original yeast cake if you want to age and condition it for a while after the main fermentation is complete. It will help you have a clearer beer while the yeast keeps working to clean up miscellaneous items in the fermented beer. Blonde ales might benefit from secondary fermentation where clarity is concerned. They are traditionally lower alcohol beers with a very light yellow color. Secondary might help the appearance of the beer. It won't affect the flavor in any significant way.

There's a debate about whether transferring to a secondary is necessary. A lot of people agree it isn't for most beers, a lot of people insist that it's still an important step. Try it this time, and skip it next time, and then decide for yourself!

Don't worry about a secondary. Just leave it in primary for 3-4 weeks then move it to a bottling bucket, bottle it and store for 3 weeks at 70*. Refrigerate it for a couple of weeks and it will be crystal clear.

Col. Jessep: Are we clear?
Kaffee: Yes sir.
Col Jessep: Are we clear?
Kaffee: Crystal.

Revvy where are you with your signature response?

Latest posts

Back