Secondary? Yes or no?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dispater

Reaction score
Hi guys
I use to primary for 3-5 days then transfer to secondary for at least 7 days. Beer was clear but tasted like .....hmmmm...crap...well fruity. I was fermenting too high. So I got a mini fridge that fits my primary bucket!!! But not my secondary(carboy). I am currently doing a "Canadian Red Ale" kit. I have the primary in the fridge and Im keeping it between 20 and 25 degrees(C). My question is should I even bother to do the secondary? The temp will not be the same because it cant fit in the fridge. It may be close to 30 because my apartment is crazy warm. If I do decide to use the secondary will this temp produce those off flavours? Thanks.\
IMG_0810.jpg

My first question would be if you have it in the fridge, why are you fermenting that high? I usually ferment at 16 to 18c to avoid fusels and to keep esters down a bit.
And doing ales, I never do secondarys. I only secondary lagers.

I have read that those temps may be too low and result in stuck fermentation. What I have read is Lagers 12-16 Ales 20-25.

I have read that those temps may be too low and result in stuck fermentation. What I have read is Lagers 12-16 Ales 20-25.

Lower 20's and you should be fine for ales. Check your yeast and the recommended termperature range as most strains are slightly different.

I would just leave your primary in the fridge until the main fermentation has completed thats when you are going to get 99% of your funky off flavors after that period has ended I would remove that brew and input another in your fermchamber!!!

Leave it where it is for as long as you can. Only switch it to secondary if and when you need to use the primary/fridge for another beer. The beer will be OK where it is for a few months if necessary.

I suspect mid 80s (degrees F) is OK for secondary, but I've never tried it. I do push some Belgians that high to finish them off, but since my basement stays between 60 and 70 all year long, I never have to be concerned about long-term exposure to high temperatures.

Primary for 3 to 4 weeks, bottle and condition for a few weeks then drink. Secondary if you want to add fruit later.

B

Back