Secondary temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grevengrevs

Reaction score
Here's a situation that I have not run into until today and had never crossed my mind. At what temperature should secondaries be kept at?

I have an IPA in the fermentation chamber that I will be racking to secondary this weekend to dry hop. I also want to brew again right after that but my ferm chamber can only hold one fermentor. Question - is it okay to leave the secondary at room temperature (74-76 degrees) as it dry hops or should I leave it in the ferm chamber?

How long has it been in the fermenter?
If you have more than one fermenter do the dry hop in it.
If your beer is indeed "finished" then that 74-76 degrees should be fine for the dry hop.

1. You don't need to use a secondary to dry hop. The only reason for doing so is that you only have one fermenter and want to brew again. This is a poor reason because for only about $15 you can get a second fermenter (bucket with lid and airlock) and avoid the problems that can come from using a secondary.
2. Your beer only needs to be in the fermentation chamber while the beer is actively fermenting, probably 3 to 4 days. That's when any off flavors will develop and once the ferment slows down, room temperature is fine and actually preferred because the yeast will work a little better at the warmer temp and get you a lower FG.

And to further answer your questions, if you plan to bottle this beer, you'll have to keg it in order to make great beer like I do. ;)

Thanks everyone for responses. It will be done fermenting by the time I dry hop. I just want to move to secondary to clear it up but more so to harvest the yeast without getting all the extra hop trub.
And I do keg my beer ;)

Over time I think you'll find that, with good racking skills, clarity is actually better if you leave your beer in the primary for the extra time it would have spent in a secondary, but yeast harvesting and dry hopping are good reasons to transfer. Sure, you can use yeast from a primary dry hopped beer, but there may be some residual flavor and aroma carried over and the hop matter will have to be estimated to determine cell density. Also, there's a synergy between the yeast and hops that changes the hop character. Some like it one way, some the other. It's your call.

edit:
glad you understood the winky. :D

Why can't he make 'great beer' by bottling?

He can but if he wants to make great beer "like I do" he has to keg it because the person that said that he has to keg it to "make great beer like I do" also kegs. You just aren't reading the response correctly.:ban:

Ah, I get it now. I thought you were implying the only way to make great beer was to have it in a keg. :)

I often transfer into my keg after 10 days and dry hop. I have done both, leave the dry hops in the keg and transfer to another keg by pushing with CO2 and a jumper hose. Good Luck

Back