Secondary for an Irish Red?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfrato

Reaction score
I've had an Irish Red in primary for 2 weeks now, OG was 1.050, down to 1.010 now. Its got a nice dark color and I'm not sure if I should go into secondary for a week or if its fine for bottling right now, suggestions?

take another reading on monday. if its the same i'd say your good but personally i stick with the 3 week primary.

dont secondary, its a useless technique when only used for a week. just leave it in the primary for another week, it'll do the same thing

Another vote for no secondary... Leave it in primary until it's completed, and tastes right, then bottle it up... I went three weeks in primary for my Irish Red Ale and it came out really good... I was disappointed with the last Irish Red Ales that I bought (from the store) but this one is really good... I'm going to make sure I have some left for St. Patrick's Day this year... I might end up including it in brews to make for that day in years to come.

Taste the sample before you rack and bottle... As long as it tastes right, then go for it... Otherwise, give it some more time on the yeast cake...

:mug:Man all you guys make brewing so easy and fun :drunk: just a thankyou to everybody who cares enough to help newbies like myself do it right and enjoy doing it. :D
Way to go and thanks again.

Go by taste, but you are likely best off waiting another week if you want the beer to clarify more.

4 weeks on the yeast/in primary makes for some really nice clear brews... Plus, giving the yeast more time to do their magic... :D

The more you brew, the more you see the true wisdom in RDWHAHB

SG stayed the same for a few days, bottled it without any mishaps, will post how it tastes in 2 weeks. Thanks for all your help!

Back