Secondary Fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wesw801

Reaction score
Hi, I noticed activity in the airlock still with my heffeweizen batch in secondary yesterday. It's been already in two weeks primary and it will be an additional week in secondary tomorrow. Is this normal? OG was 1.055

Airlock activity indicates nothing other than your beer is pushing out co2. Airlocks can be active for many reasons. Bumped the carboy knocking gas out of the beer. Atmospheric pressure. Temperature changes. You need to take a hydrometer sample to ensure fermentation is complete. Take a sample if its close to where you want to be in a couple days take another sample. If they are the same your fermentation is most likely complete. If they are different. Wait a few more days and take another sample. And compare that to the sample from a few days before.

What GilSwil said. If your gravity was stable when you racked it to secondary, you are almost certainly only seeing degassing - not fermentation.

Right on. Thanks for the responses. I figured it wasn't a big deal just wanted to make sure. Can't wait to drink!

Back