Secondary Fermenting in an Oak Barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefft321

Reaction score
I just transferred a Porter that I brewed and fermented in my primary for just over 2 weeks into a 2.5 gallon american oak barrel. I added 1 cup of bourbon and I am going to secondary ferment it for 1 month in the barrel. I was wondering if I need to attach an air lock or if I can just seal it with the bung stopper?

if the beer is already at FG then it won't be fermenting anymore in the barrel you are just flavoring the beer with oak and bourbon. i couldn't tell you how much time in the barrel would be too much or too little (is it a used barrel, french, american, hungarian?) but i would be tasting it every other day to avoid over oaking the beer. I would use an air lock rather than a solid bung.

+1 on if you've hit your FG then just plug it. Don't forget you're going to want to top off a bit to compensate for the angel's share. Taste the beer often, let it get just slightly over oaked as the oak flavor will mellow out with age.

Latest posts

Back