Secondary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christianb17

Reaction score
How long is it okay to leave an ipa in the secondary fermenter. Mine has been in for about 17 days and im extremely low on cash and dont have any bottles yet...

I've left beer in the primary for 5 months before. Turned out great. Just make sure you keep the airlock full of liquid. Also, search the site, there are numerous threads on this very subject.

Thanks. Also if u dry hop like 20 min before you bottle will there be any effect?

There Probably won't be any ill effects, but you also might not get as much of the hop flavor/aroma that your going for. The hops won't have had enough time to dissolve and let their oils out. You should dry hop at least a day or two in advance.

I seriously doubt 20 minutes of dry hopping will make any percievable impact on your brew. Dry hopping for a few days would make a minimal impact - you probably want to figure more like a week or two if you want to actually notice the hops character.

stratslinger said:
I seriously doubt 20 minutes of dry hopping will make any percievable impact on your brew. Dry hopping for a few days would make a minimal impact - you probably want to figure more like a week or two if you want to actually notice the hops character.

I've read in several places and brewing books that allowing hops to sit in fermenters for extended periods can actually give off unwanted earthy/vegetal flavors. I've found that dry hopping for 3-5 days yields the best result for both flavor and aroma.

Hey jkaylor. I noticed youve got a choclate milk stout in the fermenter. I brewed a chocolate milk stout and its been in the bottle for about 3 and a half weeks. flavor is good but its taking a while to age :/ its got a dry finish thats not that great but ive been told it just needs more time.

Back