secondary fermentation or protein drop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyoast

Reaction score
So I am currently making my first wine kit (Blackberry merlot) the primary fermentation went well, got my gravity down to .998 after 14 days, racked to secondary and added all of the packets and de-gassed as the instructions said to do and now 3 days after, it looks like alot of sediment is allready starting to build up at the bottom of the carboy and I am just wondering if that is normal or am I experiencing some secondary fermentation after the sweetener was added??? I have been watching the airlock pretty closely and there has not been any activity since the rack.. As I said, this is my first wine attempt. Thanks in advance!

wyoast said:
So I am currently making my first wine kit (Blackberry merlot) the primary fermentation went well, got my gravity down to .998 after 14 days, racked to secondary and added all of the packets and de-gassed as the instructions said to do and now 3 days after, it looks like alot of sediment is allready starting to build up at the bottom of the carboy and I am just wondering if that is normal or am I experiencing some secondary fermentation after the sweetener was added??? I have been watching the airlock pretty closely and there has not been any activity since the rack.. As I said, this is my first wine attempt. Thanks in advance!

Sounds normal, I get a lot of sediment drop days into secondary as well.

Let it sit and rack again per the kit instructions.

Some of those packages contain clarifiers- which work to clear the wine by having it drop out of suspension. When the wine clears, the stuff that was in suspension drops to the bottom.

Back