secondary ferm particles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littled630

Reaction score
I have my batch in a secondary glass carboy right now. Ferm in primary six days and racked to secondary. I have a good layer of sediment in the bottom of the carboy and it cleared up nice, but 6 days into secondary now i have some particles that are floating that wont sink and are increasing in numbers? Should i be bottling or is this a ruined batch? What are these floating particles? I have attached one photo of the surface particles and one of the good settled particles.

Cool and normal for them to increase in numbers? This is my very first batch so im see a lot of things for the first time ever lol

Without being able to take any samples, being im in a glass carboy now how can i tell when i can bottle. First brew and im anxious to give it a taste. I was told 7 days for primary and 10-14 days in secondary but my primary only took 6 days to stop bubbling. I wanna drink up lol its hard waiting!!!

Cool and normal for them to increase in numbers? This is my very first batch so im see a lot of things for the first time ever lol

Without being able to take any samples, being im in a glass carboy now how can i tell when i can bottle. First brew and im anxious to give it a taste. I was told 7 days for primary and 10-14 days in secondary but my primary only took 6 days to stop bubbling. I wanna drink up lol its hard waiting!!!

The dissolved co2 & yeast action can kick chunks of yeast & trub off the bottom that float as yeast rafts. Quite normal. When it stopped bubbling at 6 days,it may well be that only initial fermentation was done. It'd then slowly,uneventfully creep down to FG from there. Always be sure beer is at FG before racking. I'd take a hydrometer sample to be sure it's done before priming & bottling. You don't want bottle bombs.

Ill just have to wait the 14 days lol. Havent got any bubbling in secondary at all so i should be at fg i hope lol.

Ha thanks didnt think of that. Not sure whst my fg is supposed to be though. I used a pilsen dme. And if im at fg do i need to run the secondary for the last week or can i bottle now!

Just took a sample im at 1.030 ish after 2 weeks one week in primary and one in secondary so ill have to check it tomorrow again. Supposed to get a fg of 1.010 but im thinking im not gonna hit that.

Didnt notice that was visible oh well watch my account close cause i cant delete them!!!!

Yeah i racked to secondary when bubbling stopped cause i didnt have a test tube to test a 1 gal batch but just got one today oh well. So basically its prolly no good being that its at 1.030 instead of 1.010

Didnt notice that was visible oh well watch my account close cause i cant delete them!!!!

Click up on "My account" at the top, then "Control Panel". Last option on the left on the page that opens is your attachements. Find them on there and you can delete them from the site.

Yeah i racked to secondary when bubbling stopped cause i didnt have a test tube to test a 1 gal batch but just got one today oh well. So basically its prolly no good being that its at 1.030 instead of 1.010

the yeast in suspension will still do its job slowly if there is sugar to eat.

Back