secondary/dry hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadygrove96

Reaction score
so admittedly, i only briefly looked through previous posts to try and find an answer to this and didnt see anything... so im going to ask and hope for responses.

im a little concerned about my current batch. its a black ipa. i brewed it way back at the end of december. it sat in the primary for a little over 2 weeks. i then transfered it to secondary. waited a week. dry hopped. my intention was for the dry hopping to last about a week in the secondary. well, i had some major things come up and have had a hard time getting around to bottling it. so long story short, its been sitting in the secondary for about 4 weeks with the dry hops, 5 weeks total.

am i running any serious risks letting it sit for so long in the secondary, have i ruined it? can dry hopping for this long cause any problems/infections/off flavors? am i worrying for nothing?

fyi, its in a glass carboy, in a box, with no prolonged exposure to light and the airlock has been on the entire time.

thanks in advance.

You run the risk of grassy flavors. If anything, rack them off of the hops and then you buy yourself some more time.

I once left the hops in for three weeks with no bad effects. Like you, I wanted to package sooner, but never had the time.

Hopefully your beer is fine. If anything, I bet the bad flavors will age out. Maybe someone could chime in with their experience on this.

The same thing happened to me with a Pliny clone, I left the dry hops in there for about 4 weeks. Some people say if you dry hop to long you get a grassy smell from the hops.

I was worried about this, but to tell you the truth it came out awesome, I am sure it would have been hoppier if I bottled when i was suppose to. The taste wasnt as hoppy compared to the first Pliny clone I did, but still delicious and nothing undesirable. I actually liked it a little maltier, but I believe that was due to the beer aging 4 weeks more than I did on my first one.

Long story short, bottle it and find out; and keep us updated.

When are you planning to bottle it?

I'd say go ahead and bottle it soon 'cuz you never know, it may turn out beautifully.

Latest posts

Back