Second runings or parti-gyle sugar additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ameadrat

Reaction score
I have seen questions on big beers about how much sugar should I add to a parti-gyle. up until last summer when I was looking for a good Barleywine recipe; I saw the Fireside barley recipe that I decided to study the effects of sugar in my brew.
I make an allday IPA and that is my vehicle for studying any changes I make in a recipe. I have 2 kettles I use for boiling. My large kettle is 30 quarts hereafter is referred to as LK. The other is a 20 quart kettle which I also use for canning, hereafter referred to as SK.

I am a cooler brewer, my all day IPA is 13 - 14 lbs of Maris otter an 2 lbs of carapils. I run 15 gallons of heated water through my cooler. The first run is into the LK and the second is into the SK each are processed separately.

They are also cooled separately. It produces between 8 to 9.5 gallons of fermented beer. I have scheduled 8 brews of this beer this year. I have 7 to go. This study is incomplete and I will update after my next run.

MO ----- 13.5 lbs----- 13,5 lbs ---- 14 lbs-------
SUGAR ----- 0 ----- 2lbs cane---- 1 lb corn----2 lb corn

LK OG ----- 1.062 --- -- 1.059 ---- 1.061

SK OG ----- 1.021 ----- 1.051 ---- 1.039

combined OG- 1.045 ---- 1.052 ---- 1.051

The first brew is right on my history of brewing this beer (1.042 to 1.050). The problem in this study is no 2 lbs of corn sugar and no 1 lb of cane. I will run my next run in April with 2 lbs of corn sugar. Since in sweetening back in wine, you always use cane sugar because corn will fully ferment.

Therefore If you are going to run a second running use 2 lbs of corn sugar. Also remember chocolate & blackmalt only add flavor and color(canbe added in final sparge water).
Also remember Vanilla will ferment. I will publish the results of my next run which will be with 2 lbs of corn sugar.

Since nobody knows me I'll only say this I made my first homebrew and homemade wine in 1973.

did with 2 lbs corn sugar and am adding an old run where I did the SK first'.

MO......14 LBS........13.5 LBS
LK.......1.062...........1.024
SK.......1.052...........1.082
comb....1.060...........1.050
corn
sugar 2 lbs............none

I see no significant difference in the resultant in the combined OG or in the LK OG appx. 1.060. The FG of all the combined was around 1.010. Note the final OG of the 2 lbs of corn sugar was the highest as was the FG of the
combined. Indicating a 1.3 % difference in alcohol. Which seems to confirm the wine sides use of cane sugar to sweeten back because it does not fully ferment. This study was done because of my interest and brewing of fireside barley wine. Mine is still at 1.035 FG and I used cane sugar. I think I will use corn sugar and cut to 1 lb of corn on my large kettle. The OG was 1.113. The most important thing I see out of this could be the difference in alcohol and sweetness in a parti-gyle with corn being higher in alcohol and cane being higher in sweetness and lower in alcohol. This is significant for cooler brewers because of the flow of water through the cooler. The BIAB guys since your taking the grain out and putting in fresh water, I would think(note I have NO experience) it could be more significant. Hope this helps somebody.

Back