second foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cybercon

Reaction score
I'm brewing an Irish Red Ale. It took 48 hours to begin foaming. After 7 days I was about to switch it to a second carboy and it started to foam up again. This is my fifth attempt at brewing and I have not come across this before. Is there a problem and if so, how can I correct it.

Not a problem, most likely, just let it go. Seven days is sort of short, just let it ride for another week. Have you taken a gravity sample to see if it has finished fermenting?

Its likely just continuing to ferment. Worst case scenario is that it grabbed some nasties on the way and you are seeing the result of an infection, but don't jump to conclusions... Check the gravity, taste and RDWHAHB

When brewing you'll learn that there is no 7 day rule for yeast. Every batch is different the yeast will act differently for any number of reasons, all of which can effect how long your beer is going to ferment. I have no problem leaving my beer in the primary for weeks, I almost never use a secondary.

I'm brewing an Irish Red Ale. It took 48 hours to begin foaming. After 7 days I was about to switch it to a second carboy and it started to foam up again. This is my fifth attempt at brewing and I have not come across this before. Is there a problem and if so, how can I correct it.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass but why would you move your beer this fast? Why would you move it at all? Yeast is your friend, it will clean up off flavors and finish your beers. Buy a thief, take your gravity reading after all activity slow's down ( all the foam falls to the bottom). Then taste it. One of the best things I've learned about brewing is to let the yeast do its thing.

Consider the potential that by moving your beer without a gravity check and without tasting it you may be stopping fermentable sugars from being converted to alcohol. This can leave you with a wort that seems sweet at worst or out of balance at best. Yeast won't work on your schedule it has a mind of its own.

Let it sit three weeks in the primary. No need to secondary. Why transfer and risk infection when there is no need or benefit?

Thanks for helping out a novice. I'll get back to you in a few weeks and let you know how I made out.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass but why would you move your beer this fast? Why would you move it at all? Yeast is your friend, it will clean up off flavors and finish your beers. Buy a thief, take your gravity reading after all activity slow's down ( all the foam falls to the bottom). Then taste it. One of the best things I've learned about brewing is to let the yeast do its thing.

Consider the potential that by moving your beer without a gravity check and without tasting it you may be stopping fermentable sugars from being converted to alcohol. This can leave you with a wort that seems sweet at worst or out of balance at best. Yeast won't work on your schedule it has a mind of its own.

The problem is that 7/10 is written on the instructions for most beer kits. I really wish all the kit companies would elaborate further on this vs a quick and generic suggestion.

Back