Second Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisRC1985

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I just finished bottling my first brew yesterday, using a kit from MoreBeer!, they kit came with a plastic carboy and a bottling bucket. However,
I have been reading a lot about people using Second Fermenters. I was not aware I should (or shouldn't) be using a second fermenter. So I guess my question is;

- Why / When would I use a second fermenter?
- Do I Siphon the wort into another carboy?

And just as a side note, it seems like the beer kit instruction I received on brewing an Ale, were pretty shotty...is that typically the case with theses website kits? I may be better off reading some user recipes from here, and brewing those....the chinook hops sound amazing :)...love a hoppy beer!
..Sorry for getting side tracked lol

Many of us only use secondaries for fruit additions,oaking,etc. I & many others even dry hop in primary after a stable FG is reached & it settles out good. So a secondary isn't really needed. Save for the instances mentioned.
Besides,sitting on the yeast cake will allow the yeasties to clean up the brew,& settle out more before bottling/kegging. I've siphoned clear beer from primary to the bottling bucket.

as far as instructions in kits go Austin Homebrew Supply seem to be pretty complete. plus they have a huge selection of kits and clones. and they tell you what's in the recipe and in what amounts.

Many of us only use secondaries for fruit additions,oaking,etc.
I will have to keep that in mind..I def would like to brew with some fruits...hopefully I will be good enough come spring, for a nice Citrus brew.

Thanks for the reference akimbo

Back