Second Brew Adventures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballardinho

Reaction score
Just thought I'd pass on a few sticky situations created by yours truly during my second brew experience. Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated...as always!

The first thing that happened was breaking my hydrometer prior to transferring wort to fermenter. I was not able to get a new one for a few days. What I did do was take a sample and I took a reading from that sample four days later. It came in at 1.060, though I was shooting for 1.068. I'm assuming the temperature calculation would bring it a little closer, but not sure why I didn't hit mark? Could waiting four days simply be the reason?

Another byproduct of breaking hydrometer is that there 'may' be a piece of glass in fermenter. Doubt it....but could be. My plan is to just strain when transferring to secondary or to bottling bucket. Think that would catch anything that may be there?

My airlock overflowed. After reading up on it, I just let it play itself out for a few days then replaced with new, sanitized airlock. It began bubbling straightaway, so I am assuming all is good.

Loving this hobby so far! Always an adventure.

PS... I opened a bottle of my first brew...a Pale Ale. It had only been in bottle for a week, so not finished carbing, but tasted good! Can't wait for it to be finished!

Thanks, all, for any thoughts on above.

Just thought I'd pass on a few sticky situations created by yours truly during my second brew experience. Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated...as always!

The first thing that happened was breaking my hydrometer prior to transferring wort to fermenter. I was not able to get a new one for a few days. What I did do was take a sample and I took a reading from that sample four days later. It came in at 1.060, though I was shooting for 1.068. I'm assuming the temperature calculation would bring it a little closer, but not sure why I didn't hit mark? Could waiting four days simply be the reason?
If this was an extract brew, you can't really miss the gravity unless you mis-measure. (I assume you sampled before pitching.) If you used top-off water, it probably wasn't thoroughly mixed, and the sample wasn't representative.

Another byproduct of breaking hydrometer is that there 'may' be a piece of glass in fermenter. Doubt it....but could be. My plan is to just strain when transferring to secondary or to bottling bucket. Think that would catch anything that may be there?
I wouldn't count on it. (Wish I had a better answer)

My airlock overflowed. After reading up on it, I just let it play itself out for a few days then replaced with new, sanitized airlock. It began bubbling straightaway, so I am assuming all is good.
Should be OK, but really the airlock should be removed when it plugs to prevent the lid from blowing off and making a big mess. Lots of brewers use a blow-off tube that goes into a container of star san as a substitute airlock. This can be replaced with a standard airlock later. Maybe the temperature was a little high - that can make a more active fermentation.

Loving this hobby so far! Always an adventure.

PS... I opened a bottle of my first brew...a Pale Ale. It had only been in bottle for a week, so not finished carbing, but tasted good! Can't wait for it to be finished!

Thanks, all, for any thoughts on above.

Welcome to brewing.

are you using a siphon for your transfers? you should be safe to assume you will not siphon up any glass. you could also put a sock over either the suction or discharge as an extra precaution. Just don't use a method that will oxygenate your beer.

Back