Second attempt at IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridire

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A dud again. Much improved but still not good. Next step is water chemistry. I used untreated tap water and I suspect the chlorine is my issue.

Baby steps.

Ridire said:
A dud again. Much improved but still not good. Next step is water chemistry. I used untreated tap water and I suspect the chlorine is my issue.

Baby steps.

If its chlorine, extra boiling will help (as will leaving water out overnight. Lots of people like campden tablets to neutralize if it is chloramine. I really like ascorbic acid (vitamin C) as I have heard overdoing it will not affect the yeast (although I was since told that you have to use like 20x the necessary dosing of campden tablets - 5 tabs instead of 1/4 - for it to affect yeast...still, I already bought the ascorbic acid:)).

What is the issue with your brews? I'm sure you have posted, but I usually don't notice usernames unless it is Yooper or Revvy.

freisste said:
What is the issue with your brews? I'm sure you have posted, but I usually don't notice usernames unless it is Yooper or Revvy.

A harsh bitter aftertaste. I entered a blonde into a comp and got feedback of "phenol". I used untreated tap water. The same taste is here but seems more pronounced in the hoppy beer.

I'm going to start using campden to see if it remedies the issue.

Campden tablets and adjust your water with the necessary Epsom Salt for better hop characteristics. Get your latest water quality test / contents from your water provider and use the adjustments accordingly for an IPA.

I grew up near Buffalo!

Anyway, my IPAs improved greatly once I started using purified RO water. I then added the necessary brewing salts to get the mineral levels that work for IPAs.

I brew all-grain 5 gallon batches and typically for a 12 lb grain bill I will add in about 3.2 grams of MgSO4 (epsom salt) and 6.2 grams of CaSO4 (gypsum) to the strike water.

What are you doing for temperature control. I didn't believe it when I started brewing, but after spending all my money on going all grain and other equipment, I found out what I should have done was get my temp control perfected. NOTHING makes a difference in beer making like temp control.

As for the campden tablets, I use them with my tap water, we have great tap water here in the Natural State though.

estricklin said:
What are you doing for temperature control. I didn't believe it when I started brewing, but after spending all my money on going all grain and other equipment, I found out what I should have done was get my temp control perfected. NOTHING makes a difference in beer making like temp control.

As for the campden tablets, I use them with my tap water, we have great tap water here in the Natural State though.

I have a kegerator with a Johnson control. My ferm temperature should not be causing my problems.

If you've got your temps under control I'd say your water is the next culprit. Campden is your first step for sure. I don't believe there is a municipal water supply in the US or Canada that isn't using chlorine or chloramine, you NEED to treat your water for these, it isn't optional. Phenol's are typically caused by chlorine so if you're getting them in your beer campden should solve the problem.

Do you have a water profile by chance? I notice you described your beer as having a "harsh bitter aftertaste". I had a similar problem that was being caused by my high bicarbonate water. Bicarbonate can cause your mash to buffer in the wrong pH zone which will cause problems with taste as well. I'd start with treating your water with campden and then move on to more advanced water treatment if that doesn't solve the problem.

Back