Seasonal Frustration..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kplum

Reaction score
My next Brewday is Sunday.. I am so frustrated I was going to do a late Pumpkin, but all the stores in my area are not in stock... So I thought hhmm.. I guess I could start an X-mas Holiday beer.. I am not sure where to go with this one.. I am looking to add Vanilla, Cinnamon, all spice, nutmeg, and maybe a little bit of ginger.. I am not sure what grains to use..

I am Looking for a recipe that is very very malty.. I am willing to lager the beer or produce an ale..

I like German Pilsner Malt and use it, but I dont know if that would be a good choice.. I really like Munich alot.. I do use Vienna some..

Thats the grain bill I am very comfortable with and have produced great bills using those 3 malts..

Just looking for direction before my Brewday.. Thanks again guys..

One more thing.. I prefer to do AG. I am not opposed doing extract, just would rather do AG.. Thanks

Why not just use 32% of each with a touch (4%) of chocolate malt and call it a Holiday Three-Way...

Maybe low flavor hopping and then dry-hop the hell out of it!

Sorry - I'm a little buzzed and probably shouldn't be advising right now.

If you want malty, why not depart from your tried-and-true 3 grains and make a strong ale or a robust porter? I know I've seen recipes based on those styles with "holiday" spices and such. I've got a porter (no spices, though) in a secondary now, gearing up to enjoy in the cold weather. Come on, winter!

Thats a good idea.. I have been formulating something.. This is what i have come up with..

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
11.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 70.97 %
2.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 12.90 %
1.50 lb Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 9.68 %
0.50 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 3.23 %
0.50 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 3.23 %
1.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (30 min) Hops 26.4 IBU
2.00 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] (2 min) Hops 2.7 IBU
1 Pkgs English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) Yeast-Ale

If you want malty, why not depart from your tried-and-true 3 grains and make a strong ale or a robust porter? I know I've seen recipes based on those styles with "holiday" spices and such. I've got a porter (no spices, though) in a secondary now, gearing up to enjoy in the cold weather. Come on, winter!

That is true.. I am thinking about adding vanilla, allspice, and nutmeg.. We will see.. Too many spices in the beer and I feel heartburn coming on.. I really like the porter idea, I think that would get me fairly malty

Back