Searching for galvanized finish beer taps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snow4phil

Reaction score
I am in the process of building my kegerator. For the outside I am using cut up pallet boards to make a crate looking case. I want to use galvanized finished door pull and hinges. It looks like I am out of luck on matching the beer taps, and only have Stainless or chrome as an option. Are there any other suggestions anyone has to match the finish of the door pull and hinges. I am thinking about some type of galvanized bucket for a drip tray, but would really like to have matching taps as well.

Here is a link to the door pull finish.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-4-7-8-in-Galvanized-Light-Duty-Door-Pull-15275/202034159

Thanks.

Phil

You could built the tap handles out of Galvanized materials and then scuff up the faucets to take some of the sheen off them. I would test the scuff idea on a test item first.

The other option may be to tape off / plug up the faucets and spray them with something to match. My concern with the spray idea is contaminating the faucet itself or gumming up the works and rendering the faucet inoperable.

With the number of times that the end of the tap dips into my beer as I'm pouring, I wouldn't want paint or even really scuffs (hard to clean all the scratches) in my beer.

Yeah I wouldn't mess with the actual faucet, but you could do the handles with a faux finish like that. See if you can find the "hammered metallic" spray paint in a flat finish.

Zinc in small doses is fine and somewhat beneficial, but acidic solutions will leach if out of galvanized metal in high doses and it will make you sick. Again, there is a reason no one makes them. Go with galvanized tap handles.

You won't get anything to stick to stainless, ( paint wise), with any certainty or durability.

You could do a "tumbled" finish on the taps, if you can find someone who "de-burrs" small parts, in a vibratory polisher, with ceramic media.

HOWEVER: You will have to plug, and mask, (openings and threads), every area that you don't want the media to affect.

It could be done, but a PITA!

You could wet sand them with some 600 grit to start, to knock the sheen off the stainless, and drop to 400 grit iffn' that ain't enough for ya'.

Plus one on Stealthcruiser's Idea. Ceramic media in a rock tumbler will give you a similar finish. Make sure you get full stainless taps though, Some are just chrome coated, and that will make one hell of a mess.

I should have added, if the media gets inside, it WILL wedge itself in passages, and you WILL have to knock it out, with a punch or a drift.

The PITA part would be keeping it off of machined, sealing surfaces.

We use a 3 ft. dia. vibratory here at work for de-burring parts, and putting a neat finish on "G-Jobs".

Back