Seal issues- I'm an idiot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slatts

Reaction score
Hey Guys (and Gals),

My brew partner and I decided to build a double pipe heat exchanger for our setup. Just like plans from BYO (https://byo.com/stories/item/2849-double-pipe-wort-chiller-projects).

Here's the issue- we couldn't get our hands on any compression fittings so we figured some high temp silicone sealant and/or fire caulk should do the trick. Wrong. The thing leaks like crazy and for that reason it's been gathering dust in the corner for a couple of months.

As the pictures show, we drilled through the end caps of the PVC and slid the copper tube in. It's a very tight fit but even with the silicone (and then fire caulk) water is finding its way through.

I realize I'm a dummy for this one but I'm hoping the collective genius of the DIYer's on this site can help point me in the right direction. I still cannot find Parker compression fittings at a price that make sense for this build but if anyone knows of some I'll gladly take the sawzall to the end caps.

I appreciate any help in advance! :mug:

photo.JPG

IMG_0221.jpg

Jb weld rough up the pvc and copper pipe a little with some sand paper were the jb weld is going to make contact.

Thanks guys. Now I'm afraid that it won't work as well as our immersion chiller and this will all have been a waste!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back