Sea water for göse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

photobrewmufc

Make Mine A Smutty!
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has ever used sea water in place of adding salt to the boil for a göse homebrew.

Thanks for the help!

Good thing I live close to the water, but yes, I know about the sea salt. My homebrew team is interested in using actual salt water. It's a really competitive homebrew competition we're in.
They make salt from the sea available in a form that doesn't require a bucket and a long walk.

I'm curious why you would choose to use sea water if you are trying to make an authentic Gose for a competition. Goslar, where Gose originated is located in central Germany, far from the ocean, and got it's salinity from the large underground salt deposits that surrounded the town which the ground water percolated through.
Also if you look at the various Gose water profiles floating around they generally call for NaCl levels around 200-250ppm where as sea water has a fairly consistent NaCl level of 35000ppm which I would think would make it difficult to figure amounts to use.
It would be an interesting experiment though.

Also if you look at the various Gose water profiles floating around they generally call for NaCl levels around 200-250ppm where as sea water has a fairly consistent NaCl level of 35000ppm

250/35000*640=4.57 ounces of sea water?

I've never brewed a Gose though. Does the salt inhibit yeast growth like it does in bread? If it does, would you have to add it when you keg or does it still go in the boil?

*edit* Also, NaCl isn't the only salt in sea water so you would likely scale that back some to compensate.

Last edited:
250/3500*640=45.7 ounces of sea water?

I've never brewed a Gose though. Does the salt inhibit yeast growth like it does in bread? If it does, would you have to add it when you keg or does it still go in the boil?

Never had salt inhibit yeast. I normally add salt at the end of the boil. (Usually only around .5oz for me) Some add it to taste when kegging.

Good thing I live close to the water, but yes, I know about the sea salt. My homebrew team is interested in using actual salt water. It's a really competitive homebrew competition we're in.

Contact the guys at Pleasure House Brewing in Virginia Beach, their Shark Tears Gose is made with sea water.

La Socarrada claim to have been the first in 2014 with Er Boqueron, which is supposedly made with water from the Mediterranean. Which wouldn't exactly be my first choice of sea to drink from, but they claim to filter it heavily before it goes near the beer. It's not a gose, it's more of a golden ale, it's not great to be honest...

Back