Screwed up a little - bail out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DC-Brewer

Reaction score
Trying to get a sour solera going. Goal was 1.060 - 1.065 wort with 10 gallon post boil volume.

Recipe:
11lb pale
11lb wheat malt
3.5lb oats
1lb rye

Mash at 155 for 45 minutes. Raised to 170 for sparge. Collected 12.5 gallons.

Was trying to squeeze in a brew session on Sunday when I was on call for work. Very slow day usually, never get called in. 5 minutes into the boil I got called in. Short boil and rapid cool left me 2 gallons over target with a 1.042 gravity.

Fermenting in a 1/2 barrel Sanke with 1.5L starter of
White Labs 670
Funk Weapon 2
White Labs 655

My efficiency stunk (kinda on purpose to get some unfermentables) but was worse than expected (barely over 50%). Lack of long boil didn't help either. Was planning on brewing a small batch to top off the keg in the future but really only have room for another 2 gallons with what I've put in there already.

What is the best way to increase the gravity of the whole batch to the 1.060 level. Thinking of bringing in extract and making syrup out of DME to add to the fermenter. Bad idea? Other alternatives I thought was ferment out for 6 months and bring 3.5 gallons out to age on some peaches I have frozen. Then top up solera with strong wort.

Very fearful that the starting gravity is too low to make the beer I'm looking for.

Yeah I would add extract, shooting for 1.060. DME dissolved in an equal weight of water should work. Bring to a near/boil to dissolve.
I can help with the math if you need it.

I don't see any reason why not. Did you have specific concerns?

Funny thing, I'm brewing a lambic right now. Mashed at 155 for 45 min.

Solubility is big concern. I think I can do the math unfortunately. 20 points per gallon needed x 12 gallons leaves me with six pounds needed? Plus whatever volume of water I add needs to have extract to make it 1.060. 1.5 lb extra for each gallon of water. Total of 8-9 lbs in 1.5-2 gallon of water should get there.

Big concern is amount of highly fermentable extract in a sour. Was trying to leave a ton of starch for the organisms but this may ferment too fully. Am I worrying about nothing?

Can I get 9 lbs of dme to dissolve in 2 gallons of water?

FYI- I think the oats killed me as we tbh. I run a HERMS system and was only getting a trickle through the thick gummy mash.

Around 4.1L of water should be able to dissolve 9lbs DME without too much trouble (to make a 50% w/w solution).
I'd add it right after primary fermentation dies down.

Look at it this way: you're adding more fermentable sugars, but also adding more UNfermentable sugars.... So there will be more food for Brett after you add the DME.
Also I've heard you really don't need a super high amount of unfermentables for Brett character. Souring will mainly depend on your IBU.
If you really wanted, you could replace a portion of the DME with MD.

Beta glucan rest next time?

Beta glucan rest is a wonderful idea. The last 2 lbs of oats were an audible at the last minute when I realized I had some in the pantry. Cutting that out would have helped. Lesson is either make wort the way I have for the last 10 years or commit to a real change I guess.

Maltodextrin is a great idea if I'm not liking the character of the beer. Really appreciate your advice.

Back